• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering the pan on Autotrans

jediem

NAXJA Forum User
Shortly after purchasing my 96'XJ I tried to replace the filter in the autotrans. I removed all the bolts from the pan after draining the fluid, cracked it loose and then the fun began. I could not break the 2 parts of the dipstick tube upper part(bolted to block) and lower part (part of drain pan) apart. I tried heating, twisting, pulling, even a little beating on a vise grip attached to the top part of the tube, it would not give. Its hard to tell because I could only get it down an inch or so but it didn't look like I'd be able to get the pan out even if I could get them apart because of interferance with the exhaust pipe as it crosses over. So after fighting with this thing for a day I put it back together and naturally its starting to leak and needs attention. Let me end by saying, "I'm no stranger to mechanical work". I am new to the XJ so I'm asking. How the heck do I get this pan down and out to replace the gasket and filter. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. "What am I missing here"??

LOL....Had this very same issue a while back!!! What I had to do was disconnect the exaust pipe at the manifold. That will give you just enough room to wedge the trans pan out. As far a your dipstick tube joint that should pull out fairly easy, if not give it a little twist when ya have more room.

My trick is to ratchet strap the exhaust crossover pipe to the front axle. It will pull forward just enough to drop the pan. As far as the dipstick tube, you just need to pull, push and hammer on it until it comes apart. Once I got mine apart, I smeared a little bit of antisieze compound on it and havent had that problem since.

I got a '96 last January, and found the same thing. They made the pipe from the header to the cat fatter, just enough to make removing the pan impossible. We also have a '92 and '95, and don't have this issue. What I did was drop the pan as far as I could, and reach above it, and remove and replace the filter without the benefit of seeing it.The dip tube is attached by a bolt on a flange that is accessible from above, at the rear of the block. The real bear is getting the gasket on. Good luck!

Same problem with my '98. The two parts just wouldn't come apart. I ended up unbolting the bracket at the top and was able to pull the pan down enough to get the filter out. The real pain was scraping the old gasket off the bottom of the transmission and the rim of the pan. It can be done but it is a real pita. A friend suggested putting a hose clamp around the tube and tapping it with a wood stick and a hammer.

To give credit where due, Dirk Pitt also gave me that hint about using the small hose clamp. It really does work easily. I used a long screwdriver to tap on but most anything should work. Looked to me like this would be easier than removing the bolt holding the bracket from above.

Back