• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my junkyard find questions (pics inside)

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
okay so went to my junkyard found a (i think) d44 rear out of an 88. a select track transfer case out of a 93. and an ax-15 out of a 94. all xj's!

pics:

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

okay so my questions are, is that a d44 rear end? im 99% sure it is.
and second question is, can i put that t-case in my rig? i have an 89' with a peugot tranny. but i found that ax-15 behind a 4.0L in a 94' thing is though it was a 2wd jeep so the tranny has the big tailshaft cone goin to the rear driveshaft. now remember these are all different xj's so id take each part from each one. but what do i need to drop the ax-15. 242, and d44 in my 89' with a peugeot 5 speed, 231, and d35.

Yes, that is a D44 rearend.

IF indeed the AX15 is a 2wd tranny, you might as well sell it and buy a 4wd AX15. Reason being, you will have to replace the mainshaft, get the proper mounting plate for the Tcase, and a few other small things. And yes, you can use a 242 behing an AX15.

my 89 has the 242j t-case, with the d35 rearend.
but if im reading this right, the t-case is a 242j you found. & yup that be a d44. get the ax15 from a 4x4 xj, too much "nickle-n-dime" for the switch over on the tranny you did find (as stated above). do a lil "homework" & check the tags on them before yankin them if you are wanting to put them in your rig.

well i know for sure that its a np242 thing i was wondering is since the 242 is one jeep, and the d44 in another, do they use the same driveshaft and will they bolt right in?

should, but check the splines on both. inned & outter shafts, if they are the same count i dont forsee much trouble. get the length of them both first too. from both xj's, if they are close in length you should be fine.

Back