• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Need help removing axle shafts from 8.25 with Powertrax

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
All, I'm in the middle of doing a ZJ brake swap on my XJ. First step is to remove axle shafts. I have a 8.25 rear with a powertrax no-slip. Well, it was easy to access the passenger side C-clip. But I can't get to the driver's side. How do I get the C-clip out? Do I have to pull the ring and/or Locker? I didn't do the locker install and I've never messed with gears. I'm afraid to start dismantling because I don't want to screw up the gear setup. Need you help here guys. Thanks.

When I had a 8.25 I had a Lock-Right in it.The procedure should be the same.
Remove the cross shaft-remove the springs & pins.Push axles in-push off the C-clips.You may have to rotate the assembly to find the clearence needed.
Wayne

I got the 2 springs out and there is NO WAY that that c-clip will slide out given the room available. WTF?! I can't even get the carrier out without getting that clip out. How do I dismantle the locker to get it out piece by piece?

Last edited:
Shouldnt take more than 10 minutes,push in on the axle while making sure the side gear doesnt come with it!

Theres a good chance it wasnt properly installed to begin with.This is a common problem,the c-clips need to be ground for a "loose" fit or they either break the syncro-ring or end up getting wedged in the side gear.

Guys, I think you are overestimating my understanding of this system.
1. Pushed in passenger side (c-clip came out no problem)
2. Pulled all 10 springs (8 that surround the cross-shaft and the 2 that are parallel to the axles.

After that I'm at a loss. Do I remove the locker or parts of it? If so how? This seems like a gearhead rubik's cube, I'm beyond frustrated.

Do the four pins come out of the passenger side of the locker so one side can fit by the other? Getting those out ought to be a hoot.

Last edited:
Got the god-awful beast off. Had to dismantle the locker. Thanks IH8 for the manual, that is what got me there.

ive heard people with the same issue and they were able to get a piece of thread behind the c-clip and it was enough to pull it out. depends how tight it is in there though.

Back