• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion shims

Measure the thickness of the shims at each end. .0075 would be arround 3/8 at one end, tapering to 1/16 at the other.
I doubt seriously that anyone makes a .075 tapered shim.

sorry, talking about pinion depth shims.. trying to put together a preliminary shim pack based on the new pinion head etching versus the old one. If it is
+75 thou on the new one, I dont think I can remove enough shims to account for that, which is why I assumed it was 7.5 thousanths.

xjbubba said:
Measure the thickness of the shims at each end. .0075 would be arround 3/8 at one end, tapering to 1/16 at the other.
I doubt seriously that anyone makes a .075 tapered shim.
I got my tapered pinion shims at Unobtainium Racing!

I would just start with a factory shim pack,not all gears are marked the same way.What brand are they?

RCP Phx said:
I got my tapered pinion shims at Unobtainium Racing!

Funny you mention that...for those looking for tapered pinion shims I seen some at the local hardware store next to the piston spokes.............:D

Anyway +75 thou?.........never seen it. Those I seen were in the +/- 10 range

Sure this isn't a match number?

Ron

XXX said:
Funny you mention that...for those looking for tapered pinion shims I seen some at the local hardware store next to the piston spokes.............:D

Anyway +75 thou?.........never seen it. Those I seen were in the +/- 10 range

Sure this isn't a match number?

Ron

definitely a pinioin depth marking. I thought that 75 thou was a lot, it would be running close to 0 shims at that rate, I'll find out soon enough when I install the ring gear

Sorry about that!:laugh: I had just responded to another thread regarding spring packs--had rear leaves on the mind:anon:
AS far as the number on the pinion goes, "+75" seams huge.
The stock distance from the ring gear center-line to the button end of the Model 44 axle is 2.625 inches. The number, generally etched, on the pinion head represents the shim variance required to set a particular gear-set to its optimum position. A +75 indicates a pluss .075, if the numbers follow normal convention.
The chart in my Dana manual shows 0 to .004
A combination of your old pinion marking, say +4 (+.004), combined with the new pinion marking, say +2 (+.002), indicates shims (not tapered:sunshine: ) of .002 would be added to the current shim pack.
Since 75 thou seams ridiculas--I'd assume it means .0075.

RCP Phx said:
I would just start with a factory shim pack,not all gears are marked the same way.What brand are they?

Been lookin' into this...cause I have a similiar problem..........

Master housing dimension for a Dana 30 is 3.635" (axle centerline to front bearing surface of pinion)

Pinion depth for a "0" ring and pinion is 2.250" from centerline of axle so.....

If you measure the head of your new pinion and compare it to your old this should be the difference in the two "set-up" numbers. ...........er?

So the head of a Dana30 pinion should be around(give or take) 1.385". Sorry!...thinking out loud.

I may be on to something here........:greensmok

Oppps! Sorry, I'm thinking in Dana 30 terms

Last edited:
Well I checked this out on a pinion that I suspected to be a +11 and indeed it worked to be very close.

XXX said:
Been lookin' into this...cause I have a similiar problem..........

Master housing dimension for a Dana 30 is 3.635" (axle centerline to front bearing surface of pinion)

Pinion depth for a "0" ring and pinion is 2.250" from centerline of axle so.....

If you measure the head of your new pinion and compare it to your old this should be the difference in the two "set-up" numbers. ...........er?

So the head of a Dana30 pinion should be around(give or take) 1.385". Sorry!...thinking out loud.

I may be on to something here........:greensmok

Oppps! Sorry, I'm thinking in Dana 30 terms[/quote

Edit: correction Master housing dimension for a Dana30 is 3.625" not 3.635", so the pinion would be 1.375" not 1.385"

Back