• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rails

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
railstextdisplay_jpg.jpg

has anyone ever seen these "rock rails" any experience with them? there $212 for a bent piece of flat stock. is it worth it?

interesting... i would also like to know from anyone who has them how they are perform.

maybe they paint it and give you the self tappers too...lol....

good point, doesnt seem like its worth $212 just for that bend...

yeah, i don't think i would trust those self tappers too much.

i didnt even think of the head bolt, what about using the tapper to make the hole and using a hex head flush mounted that has a little bigger diameter? i think i might just stick with the AJ's rails i had in mind

One problem I see with these is that if you set your rocker panel on some umm, rocks, it transfers all of the force up into the unibody. At least with the standard-issue cut/n/weld square tube rockers, the force is spread out over a very wide area that's fully welded/bolted in place. Seems like these rocker "skins" would be prone to buckling the sheet metal above where they're attached. I dunno, maybe I'm off-base with that thought.

Another issue would be the lack of any side protrusion. Most rockers stick out at least an inch or so, giving you some protection from taller rocks/stumps that you will bump into on the trail. With these your door skin is more vulnerable to those types of common trail obstacles.

I'd stick with a more conventional, proven rocker protection product.

[
Another issue would be the lack of any side protrusion. Most rockers stick out at least an inch or so, giving you some protection from taller rocks/stumps that you will bump into on the trail. With these your door skin is more vulnerable to those types of common trail obstacles.

I'd stick with a more conventional, proven rocker protection product.[/quote]

I agree.

They look like they would be excellant at holding water, moisture and salt eventually rusting out the rockers. They use a lot of salt up here

I had some 3/16 bent pretty much like the "rock Rails", shown above. Major difference is I created a flange along the bottom edge, by welding on sections of 1/8 flat-bar. this flange fits against the pinch weld. I then bolted the pinch weld to that flange.
I also opened up the ends of the stock rocker panel to allow me access for a couple of "nut plates" at each end.
I've had these for years, and can attest to their toughness.
I've pivoted on nasty rocks, leaving deep scratches in the 3/6, and I've dropped on rocks without any damage to my rockers.

c-roc makes a similar item that is 1/4 inch and uses a second bend to form to the pinch seam and attaches in 22 places, mine survived a number of trips to JV and all over big bear and show no bending or weakness. In my opinion if its gona be strong enough to wheel it should be thicker and incorporate the pinch seam since it is basically the only strong part of the rocker panel

Gerr said:
c-roc makes a similar item that is 1/4 inch and uses a second bend to form to the pinch seam and attaches in 22 places, mine survived a number of trips to JV and all over big bear and show no bending or weakness. In my opinion if its gona be strong enough to wheel it should be thicker and incorporate the pinch seam since it is basically the only strong part of the rocker panel

I too have the C-Rok skins and they work great, I don't remember what I paid for them but they were cheaper than any of the conventional rock rails I looked at at the time.

joshv98xj said:
That looks good- but looks never held a vehicle together......
Those diamond plate rockers would look pretty sweet WITH some diamond plate trimmed sliders, but not in place of.

I agree, my AJ's Super rails have diamond plate for end caps.

Back