• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

things to do for more lift?

KI4KWF

NAXJA Forum User
so i think i might want to go bigger...not just another inch...like up to 5".
like this that i found over on JF:
[gorilla skater]Here's my 98 XJ. It started stock, then I wheeled it with 30's and a 2" BB last year. This is the current state...

Lift: 5.5" Total, Rustys 4.5" coils and ACOS in Front, Rusty's 4.5" leafs with .75" shackles in back, RE Adj. Lowers and fixed uppers and RE Adj Track Bar

Rims (dims and back space): 15x8 Soft 8's 3.75" Back space

Tires (model and size): Maxxis Big Horns 32x11.50-15

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._0009-edit.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._0027-edit.jpg

i would like to go like that, but maybe just 4.5" to keep from fooling with shackles...[a full leaf pack is gonna be hard b/c my bolts are all rusted...]...and 31's instead of 32's. i really like the look of that size lift, with those wheels and tires...and the spare carrier...just without the roof rack.

so down to the nitty-gritty...
my 16th birthday is coming up in may, and i need to know if it would be in budget range to ask for this lift for my bday. im thinking that i'll need this extra stuff as well:
sye
track bar, or other misc front end stuff?
gears?
its a daily driver, so im not worried about lockers and axles popping... im sure the dturdyfive can handle 31's or 32's, because our TJ has it with 32's.
anyways...what kind of $$$ can i be looking to for going up basically another 1.5"-2" from my current 3"[actual 2.5"], and do it right the first time?
other nit-picky question would be about tires: i know i want mud-terrains of some sort, which are the best for on-road use too?:dunno:
[sorry for the long post, i just have so many questions...and yes i searched...]

I'd say around $150-200 for coil spacers and shackles.....but......
you might have to factor in longer bumstops,shocks,and axle shims if the extra lift throws off your driveline geometry.Sye is pretty much mandatory at that height unless you do a t-case drop.Stock track bar will have to either be replaced or the lower mount will have to be redrilled(do a search for that)Also you may have to extend your brakelines(you can relocate the front brakeline mount down or use wrangler brakelines).Can you see how these couple inches could get expensive real quick??

ideally you would want drop brackets for the control arms because your ride is going to be harsh at 5" with stock control arms.......

Last edited:
thats not too bad. its really going up just a little, because of the lift is not what i expected. shoulda went with RE 3.5. ive seen so many cherokees on here and JF that have RE3.5 SF or SR that have actual 4-5", while my 3" is only about 2.5". :rattle:
but anyways...i'll probably stick with rusty's still since i already have a rusty's lift on it. maybe a 1.5 shackle/spacer will work...and some soft 8's. :D
what about tires? which MT's are the best for on-road use?
...and dont say super swampers. (n)

really for looks.
alot of people around here have big-n-built TJs, but ive only seen one XJ, and its REALLY big, like with D60's and 35's and a whole bunch of other crap.
so, yeah...its for looks. :eek:

my 16th birthday is coming up in may,

How old ya gatta be to be in here?

Back