• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCM/Computer??

sublime600

NAXJA Forum User
A while back when i took my Jeep to the dealership for them to check my cruise control, they said it wasnt working due to a bad PCM. They told me like some outrageous price around 900 dollars. Also it was on back-order so they couldnt do it anyway. SO my question is how can you tell if you do have a bad PCM or faulty? How can I test it out? Thanks Guys

If it is similar to my 97, pcm testing is kind of like a process of elimination leading ultimately to pcm. If all else checks out good, then replace pcm. pcm's are cheap. Look on car-part.com, you will probably find them for less than 100 bucks.

First, it's very helpful to post the model year you are referring to. Your profile says 2001, so I'll assume that's what we're talking about. You could try calling around to the local junkyards to see if they have a PCM. Or eBay.

I doubt it's the PCM. There are a bunch of things to check before assuming it's the PCM. The FSM has a bunch of info on what to check and diagnose first. For example, checking the vacumn lines to the solenoid. Was any of the advice in the other thread you started of any help? http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243681938

If this is an OBDII vehicle, your first step should be to check the codes yourself, or have someone you trust do it. Dealers love to cite a bad PCM as an excuse for not really understanding a problem. It's an easy grand for them.

Back