• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My truck...

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
hasn't been in an accident or something has it?

That terrible red line (go MSPAINT!) represents a weld on my lower control arm mounts... The welds themselves are rusting, and nothing else is, which tells me the welds were done after the metal was coated...which seems kind of odd. It's welded inside and out, both sides of the truck. The lower part is inside the upper. The welds do not look robotic or anything...just freehand mechanic with a welder.

While washing my truck today I also noticed the top of my doors on the drivers side, arent toally straight. Only the top edge doesnt follow the body lines...

On top of that my truck has decently fresh paint job...I'd say 4 years old, max. My trucks a 2000, and when I bought it, it was a little more money than the others, but was the best condition body wise. It also had higher km than most others I looked at which leads me to believe it's spent some time in a body shop.

Anyone got a free carfax report or something? Or do thes lower control arm mounts come welded like this and I'm just dumb? I dont remeber my 90 or 92 being welded there...

:party:

My 94' has the same looking freehand welds that are rusting on the front lower control arm brackets, swear to god someone used an arc welder to try to do something and then never recoated them. I also have a twisted left lower control arm i think the previous owner hit a mailbox post that must have been metal or something. The radiator is updated as well its out of an auto and my bumper is twisted a little on the very end, inline with the control arm dunno though if it was a repair or not both sides have the same sort of weld.

Yea....thats normal.Looks like shit but thats how they are.....the reason I think the welds rust in that area is they use flux core wire at the factory and didn't clean all the flux off completely before coating it with paint.Mines like that too.I made a point to look at all xj's I see sitting in parking lots because I thought some idiot welded my control arm mounts on.Hell I even found welding wire stuck to the control arm mount in some places from the factory.....a four year old could probably lay a better bead in that area.....

Last edited:
My 85 is the same I just looked only It looks like the line is a little different

Back