• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer hitch install problems

Combatcm

NAXJA Forum User
A couple weeks ago I started to install my hitch. The drivers side went by flawless. The passenger side is being a pain and I think im screwed.

3 bolts that go into the nutserts I have one in. I sheared the head of a bolt off after really cranking it down hard and the 3rd wont thread into the nutsert, I think I messed up the threads.

I just tried to grind the sheared bolt and tried to get a nut on it but it's not threading in.

Any advice appreciated.

If you're using the nut strips, I think your best bet is to bite the bullet, take the bumper off, and pull out the nut strip (grind sheared-off bolts as needed). Once it's out, you can clean up the threads, straighten it out, and even, if need be, weld new nuts on. You can probably drill out any stubs, though, unless you really torqued the thing.

One option for nut strips with rusted threads is to retap them for US coarse threads. I can't remember whether it's 7/16 or 1/2 inch. Whatever is the closest size in USC threads is so close in diameter that you can run the tap in without worry, and the thread pitch is the same, so you end up with a clean, US thread into which you can now screw commonly available US bolts.

I'd pull the bumper and pitch the nutstrip. From there, either get new nutstrips or just fish the bolts down in the frame with some wire and forget about nutstrips altogether.

I pulled the bumper and welded 2 nuts to 2 steel plates with holes in them then slid them in and bolted up the hitch worked great

1999txj said:
I'd pull the bumper and pitch the nutstrip. From there, either get new nutstrips or just fish the bolts down in the frame with some wire and forget about nutstrips altogether.

Guess you don't plan to use your trailer hitch for recovery. Ever see a hitch bolt pull thru a UNI-BODY FRAME!!!! (without a nut strip of course). Just remove the bumper and get a new nutstrip or repair it.

rmm727 said:
Aren't new nutserts under $20 from the dealer?

Very close. I would just be new nuts strips. It saves time and they do not cost that much.

Nut strips Mopar Part Number:
52001174 Right
52001175 Left

Dealer price at my location in IL. $21.00 each.

Yeah thats some good advice my hitch didnt come with a nutstrip on the drivers side.

I'm going to use the hitch for recovery

How easy are the strips to get to? Do you just remove the bumper and there is an open channel on either side?

Combatcm said:
A couple weeks ago I started to install my hitch. Any advice appreciated.

take it to uhaul, and ask to speak to the "hitch mechanic" offer him $20 to get it done. Will take him 5 minutes.

They don't get paid much, I know I was one of them for like 2yrs.. he'll do it.

Jeepm@n speaketh the truth. On my old cherokee the nut strips were unusable so I just used nuts with large washers. Eventually they all ripped out through the bottom of the frame. It was a mess.

Combatcm said:
Yeah thats some good advice my hitch didnt come with a nutstrip on the drivers side.

I'm going to use the hitch for recovery

How easy are the strips to get to? Do you just remove the bumper and there is an open channel on either side?

Yes, just take the bumper off, and pull the strips out from the end. There's enough headroom that you probably won't have a problem with the stubs of sheared off bolts if they're fairly short.

Once it's out you can decide either to replace it or fix it. If you're a cheapskate, you can put heat to the offending nuts and probably manage to get the sheared off stub out, and then either retap or chase the threads of all the nuts. If you have spare bolts, you can take a Dremel tool and grind cutting grooves in one to make a chaser for threads that aren't too bad. But make sure the threads are good and clean before reinstalling, because it's a little tricky sometimes to line up the bolts during installation, especiallyt if the strip is a little distorted from previous use, and you must be able to distinguish between a crossed thread and one that's just a little stiff.

When you reinstall, don't tighten any of the bolts until all are in, so that you have a little wiggle room for realigning the strip as you go. It can take some trial and error to get all the bolts into a strip that's been bent. If you're not patient, treat yourself to a new strip.

I have transferred a Mopar hitch from my 87 to my 95 to my 99, in each case using the same strips that came from the junkyard along with the hitch, but this is probably overdoing it.

Both of my last two vehicles had U-haul hitches when I got them. They usually use carriage bolts with a square washer, dropped down from inside the rail. It may be reasonably strong that way, but if you ever have to remove the hitch, you will regret it once for every bolt! The second U-haul hitch was installed with a mixture of different bolts, and on the passenger side they managed to install them either through or around the factory nut strip, ruining it. To access the deepest ones, they cut into the side of the frame with a chisel! Not that I would want to badmouth U-haul....:flame: ...but I think you should do it yourself and get it right the first time. Clean nut strips, new bolts, anti-seize: the care will pay off.

Back