• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LS1 SWAP???

tragiccomic1972

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fellow XJers!!! I have a 94 2wd XJ, and have never been into 4x4's, but after buying this used XJ back in August, I am now a certified Jeep fan! I know how all you guys love your off-roading and lifted XJ's, but I want to go a little different route with mine. Since it is a 2wd, I would like to build a sleeper / Mustang Hunter / Tuner Killer out of it. I have done my research and have looked at stroked 4.0's, supercharged 4.0's and turbo's and the whole gammit. Although the 4.0L engine is a beautiful thing for what it is, it just does not have quite the potential for the power I am looking for. I have a chance to purchase an LS1 out of a wrecked 2001 Trans Am, engine transmission, wiring harness, ECM, and all. I was wondering if anyone out there has done this swap, and is there any support sites out there??? Many questions arise out of pondering this swap, radiator, motor mounts, transmission mounts, driveshaft, and lots of stuff I haven't even thought of yet.... is there any help out there....

Thanks

Buy it and roll with it man.. their's a few folks that have, in fact there's a v8 XJ owners group somewhere I believe... But I say go for it man, make us NC folks proud..

WTH is Rolesville?

Ahh.. okie dokie

the Ls1 is one of the best V8s out there. I love mine and cant wait to swap one into one of my jeeps.

I did a 3800 camaro swap...the wiring is actually very similar and not all that hard. mine was a bit less in-depth with the fact that it mated up to the original bellhousing.

there's a company that makes chevy 350 motor mounts out there for the cherokee, and there are headers that hug the block. it's good that you have the 4.0 to start with, because you'll need the room in the engine bay. do it, you'll love it.

but make sure you have enough cooling. and, if you want, pm me and I can get you the wiring diagrams.

once u get that ls1 in there n running buy n sts kit and get over 600+ horse. Beat everything in a straight line but when it comes to corners ur screwedhasta

texinteg said:
You really dont need to turbo it. You can easily get 450 whp out of it if its built the right way.

yeah but thats kinda like saying " you dont really need to put a ls1 in it" lol never can have enough... but any ways i would get the motor in and running before putting alot more money into it. It kinda seems like way to many problems that you will encounter in the swap, but it does need to be done. :worship:

i dont want to offend anyone but if u want to race people then just buy a ws6 or mustang or camaro and leave the jeep for offroad. U would save urself alot of bulshit in the end. But if thats what u want to do then great but i here people say all this ungodly statements about making this vehicle go ridicoulus fast or putting a v8 in this or that and it never happens. When u get it done ill believe it. GOOD LUCK:cheers:

projectTK said:
i dont want to offend anyone but if u want to race people then just buy a ws6 or mustang or camaro and leave the jeep for offroad. U would save urself alot of bulshit in the end. But if thats what u want to do then great but i here people say all this ungodly statements about making this vehicle go ridicoulus fast or putting a v8 in this or that and it never happens. When u get it done ill believe it. GOOD LUCK:cheers:

i agree..jeeps are jeeps... build it man!:NAXJA:

Its 2wd.... If he wanted to build something, he would go get a 4x4...or convert it.

I for one am on board with ya dude... Ide LS1 my XJ if I could right now. I swapped one into my 87 Trans AM. A head/cam kit is VERY reasonable for those motors. Mines head/cam through a 6 speed and runs great. And it gets way better MPG than my Xj does. haha..i get funny look when I tell people that I drive the TA to save gas.

The wiring is STUPID simple on an LS1. The harness is almost stand alone. Literally hook up a couple grounds, and add power to like 4 wires, give it fuel, and it will run.

All you'll need to do, is drop in the motor and trans. And upgrade the rear to something like an 8.8. An 8.8 with 3.73s with a stock LS1/auto will rip. And you'll have upgraded disc brakes to help stop.

You wont need to add much to that motor at first. It will be plenty for ya to start. Then you can always add a cam, maybe heads, some intake work...

J.

with a v8 swap, you may need to modify the trackbar and/or have lift because the oil pan will be in the way of the xj stock trackbar.

From what I've read online it should be a straightforward swap.

If you are starting with a 97+ Jeep you will have to do something about the instrumentation. It is pretty much impossible to get the OEM tach to work because it relies on the ChryCo PCM for its signal. Everything else can be run off the GM PCM though. Or so I've read. Not a big deal, be creative and you'll find a work around. Either replace the factory gauges with aftermarket stuff of put them behind the factory gauges if you are really anal.

The rest is just work. Get busy. Show us how it turns out. :)

Back