• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about swapping 96 4.0+AW4 into 91

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I might have a line on a '96 4.0 HO and AW4 pair for my '91 beater with 335k miles. I've read some of the archives and it seems like it should be pretty straightforward although there was a little disagreement among responses. Just for clarification then:

Some people say to move the 91 intake over, but others say just the sensors. I'm thinking that the latter is all that's needed (if you can put in a 99+ curved intake then you can certainly put in a 96 intake). That still leaves the problem with the temp sender for the gauge, since the 96+ head doesn't have the port--is the tap missing or is it just closed off? The replacement 4.0 should have all the accessories, but am I going to need to do anything about those?

As for tranny... there may be some issues. One simple point of consideration is that my '91 has the Comfort button, and I'd like to keep that if possible (I use it in town), so what's going to be my problem with TCU? I know the speedo mech changed in 96 too, but I don't know what I have to do about that either. Finally, I don't know what I will have to do about the transfer case, but I am looking to replace my 231 with a 242 anyway so that is really a matter of scheduling I think.

Anything else?

Thanks

Back