• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor engauging every 8 seconds?

w0mps

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99XJ sport, 4.0L with AC. Problem is whenever I have the heat on, my air conditioning compressor seems to kick on, along with my electric fan every 8 seconds, exactly. It will stay on for 3-5 seconds, go off and come back on 8 seconds later. Not sure if this is normal because my idle goes a little nutty and my lights all dim whenever the compressor kicks on. Any idea's or anyone hear of this before?

That's weird. Even with just straight heat coming out of your vents? You might want to take your XJ into a certified shop that specializes in vehicle air conditioning, have them check your refrigerant levels, and check for leaks and other common things that might go wrong.

you might have a small vacuum leak. the dampers in the air system are controlled by the vacuum. check the hoses. it might not let the system go all the way over to just heat and stick at defrost mode. just an idea, maybe im way off. but ive had problems with A/C that i fixed by accident by replacing some hoses.

should run longer than 8 sec, usually a low charge due to a leak will the a/c clutch to frequently kick in and out

My wifes 01' is doing this exact thing. I've come to the conclusion that the charge must either be low or has a bad hi-low switch. I just pulled the A/C relay for now until I have time to check the level or figure it out.

My 99 cycles pretty frequently but not every 8 seconds. I agree with a couple of the other guys.....you need to get a gauge on your system and see what you find out. You may very well be low on refrigerant.

I agree..if the pressure is low...it will cycle off...or if the pressure is high it will cycle off...and it will cause the E-fan to activate...

But it seems to me that he has a different problem if his A/C is cycling on and off when his controls are set to a heat only mode of operation...

A/C should only kick in when A/C is selected or in defrost and bilevel...
He claims it happens in every mode of operation...

Do you agree?

My 98 started doing this today. Man, pulling the AC relay just angered the gods of jeep, the aux fan just kicked in and wouldn't stop! I'm having a guy check my R134 or what ever goes in there tomorow for charge. If that's not the case, anybody find anything else?

Phil:canada:

Back