• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axel rebuild

bobmarly123

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a 89 stock XJ. With a D35

There is a noise coming from the rear and it's the axel. When I have the car jacked up and turn the wheels I can hear and feel it. I'm not sure what it is.

But I was wondering if there is any in OC area or surrounding that could rebuild the axel and possibly put in a locker.

Any ideas on price would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Your money would be better spent buying any other axle to go under the back of your rig. Or perhaps a skateboard to strap to the bottom and you can push the rig.

But whatever you do, don't spend money on that d35.. ;)

Im in the same boat as you i have a dana35, im listening to just about all of the guys here and not putting a cent into it. Gonna change it out with a dana44 or ford 8.8 leaning more towards the 8.8. These guys know what they are talking about "well some of them" j/k But if your gonna keep it stock then thats cool you could probably find a dana 35 on here for free ...

Last edited:
Like Cal said, you would basically be throwing good money away on a D35, unless that is, you only drive it on the street and never tow with it. I suggest finding a D44 or Chrysler 8.25 at a junkyard or in the for sale forums and put that in. You will have a sturdy axle that way. If you need help, I can do gears and a rebuild on an 8.25 or a D44 for you.

What are the names of some good junkyards around South Orange county or closest to there?

Can I just look them up on google and see what I get?

Thanks for the help.

I can't really find anything on google or Yellow pages. Where else can I look?

Last edited:
bobmarly123 said:
What are the names of some good junkyards around South Orange county or closest to there?

Can I just look them up on google and see what I get?

Thanks for the help.

I can't really find anything on google or Yellow pages. Where else can I look?
Search for "pick a part" "pick your part" "ecology". Someone else chime in with some others.

A guy on the forum say's he has a d44 for an MJ. I would need to weld spring perches on top of the axel. Is ther anybody around South Orange County that would be willing to help me with that? I don't have any of the tools or knowledge to do it myself.

Or should I wait for something a little easier or see what I can find at the junk yard?

Thanks for the help and advice.

I CAN do the perches for you! I'm HB & open all weekends except 2/28-3/3/08 for a truck Heaven run..

Billy

bobmarly123 said:
A guy on the forum say's he has a d44 for an MJ. I would need to weld spring perches on top of the axel. Is ther anybody around South Orange County that would be willing to help me with that? I don't have any of the tools or knowledge to do it myself.

Or should I wait for something a little easier or see what I can find at the junk yard?

Thanks for the help and advice.

cal said:
Your money would be better spent buying any other axle to go under the back of your rig. Or perhaps a skateboard to strap to the bottom and you can push the rig.

But whatever you do, don't spend money on that d35.. ;)

My rear D35 was doing the same thing, Cal gives good advice.
That is good logic but for me it went something like this:

1) don't waste your money fixing the D35, get a D44
2) If I scrounge a D44, probably should have someone replace the seals and bearings.
3) If I am going to have the D44 worked on, I might as well get it geared how I want it.
4) If I get it geared, now would be a good time to get the locker installed.
5) Since my 44 also came from an MJ and the perches had to be re-welded, probably a good time to get the SYE done so that everything is aligned correctly.
6) Since I am going to have a geared and locked rear 44 I need to have the D30 geared.
7) Since the original rear end was making noise AND I gotta regear the front, I should get the seals and bearings replaced.
8) Since I am getting front geared and rebuilt I should eliminate the Vac. disconnect.
9) Since we are eliminating the disconnect, might as well replace the shafts with Alloy USA shafts.
10) Since we are rebuilding the front, might as well install that locker now too.
:wow:

Betcha my kid could have driven the XJ for years with that little bit of noise coming from the rear end.

But now the thing climbs like a mule and I don't worry about hearing the dreaded Snap, Pop, Grind, Crackle on the trail.

88trailcrawler said:
Betcha my kid could have driven the XJ for years with that little bit of noise coming from the rear end.

But now the thing climbs like a mule and I don't worry about hearing the dreaded Snap, Pop, Grind, Crackle on the trail.

But without going through all of those steps, you'd never have experianced my apathy towards your sheetmetal..

Back