• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ disk

Yeah, you'll need to make one new hole i think, and the other three get drilled or enlarged.

I ended up using TJ retainer plates, and drilled teh ZJ caliper brackets. I think... I cant remember it was a long while back...

J.

correct. because the backing plates and stuff are the new bolt pattern, and so is the retainer plate. i have thought about redrilling my axle when i was doing my brakes because i wanted to be able to use the same pre-setup shaft spares for my wifes TJ and my XJ, but i couldn't find a way to comfortably drill the axle without screwing it up, and didn't have the money to have a machine shop do it. so i ended up just re-drilling the backing plates and retainers myself.

is the axle flange bolt pattern different b/t a TJ 44 and an xj 44? that can be the only reason i can think of why a rubicon 44 retainer plate(part number mentioned above) isnt fitting my xj 44

scorpio_vette said:
correct. because the backing plates and stuff are the new bolt pattern, and so is the retainer plate. i have thought about redrilling my axle when i was doing my brakes because i wanted to be able to use the same pre-setup shaft spares for my wifes TJ and my XJ, but i couldn't find a way to comfortably drill the axle without screwing it up, and didn't have the money to have a machine shop do it. so i ended up just re-drilling the backing plates and retainers myself.

sorry about that scorpio_vette! you were telling me what i needed to know but i wasnt reading right.
Just an update here. after the brake install It all seemed so easy. took a long time though because i had no experience with disk brakes. I redrilled the axle flange with just a hand drill and then i used a die cutter and a stone to take a small amount of material off the axle behind each new hole to get the retainer bolts snug along the axle. it was tricky to line up but that was the hardest part. the brakes work great and if any one has any questions P.M. me. I'll try to get some pictures going. The only problems I had were the ZJ ebrake lines were too short and i sheared a retainer plate bolt.

CIMG0760.jpg

side shot of the zj swap using all stock material.

CIMG0761.jpg

need to shorten the brake line up a little to make it clean. works for now though.

CIMG0762.jpg

stripped a retainer bolt. had to cut the bolt head off. This shot shows one of the stock retainer bolt holes. I ended up re-drilling two, and drilling one out oversize. it would be a lot cleaner to set up a drill press to do this, hand drill and a grinder gets the job done though.

CIMG0764.jpg

and for the ebrake:
djblade311 said:
just for everyones reference, you can:

1. Order 2 KJ ebrake cables. Part # 52128510AG or
2. Order 1 KJ ebrake cable (52128510AG) and 1 drivers size ZJ cable (part number unknown right now)

all in all it cost me less than 250 dollars.

Back