• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do I need a new trac bar?

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
In the last week or so I have noticed that after I complete a turn to the left or right, and I'm bringing the steering wheel back to center, the steering wheel will will bump back and forth, side to side, left to right, or however you want to say it. Is this a bad trac bar? I have also noticed a little more play in the steering.

If it is the trac bar, do I need to replace it with a new aftermarket one or can it be replaced with a stock one? I have a 2001 Cherokee with the RE 3.5 SF and 31(265/70/16) tires. It is by no means a monster truck that is why I'm wondering if a new stock trac bar will be good enough to handle the 31's, if that is my problem.

Its not your tire size, its the height of your lift. lifting your unibody further away from the axle, thus necessitating a longer track bar. I would highly suggest getting an adjustable trackbar and a new frame side bracket that mounts the trackbar in double shear.

sounds like it could be the trackbar - any clunking?

I'm no "guru", but if you have a stock track bar, and you're running anything over a budget boost, you SHOULD have an adjustable trackbar. the stock track bar isnt long enough, you probably arent centered over your axle, PLUS, the frame side "ball joint" mount sucks ass and will wear out quickly.

Do your jeep a favor and get a quality track bar and frame side mount - Kevin's Offroad, TNT, RE Heavy Duty....just stay away from Rusty's!!!!!!

I have heard some bad things about Rusty's and some good, so I will play it safe and stay clear. What is a good price and place to get a trac bar and mount?
I do know that my Jeep is centered over the axel because RE has you drill another hole, I think 3/4 of an inch over from the stock one.
Maybe "play" was the wrong word to use. I think I should have said that the jeep drifts more than it used to.

Last edited:
also, should I have been running a drop pitman arm? could that have worn parts out sooner than they should have?

Semper Fi said:
also, should I have been running a drop pitman arm? could that have worn parts out sooner than they should have?

no drop pitman arm is needed. if it wanders/drifts, than most likely the bolt on the axle mount for the track bar is not tight enough or the bushing is worn. i would buy an adjustable track bar with the mount anyway. no point in running a lift with the stock trackbar.

Semper Fi said:
No,your angles should be pretty good,its just the tre's and mounts that are not up to par.

so should I replace the tie rod and drag link also? Also I have boomerang shackles to be put on and I'm going to be putting spacers on it in the front to level it out, no more than an inch, will the angles still be good enough to not worry about a drop pitman arm?

Both my rigs run 6" with stock steering,the 2000 since day one(zero isues).I was excited about the Rugged Ridge steering,but the one I purchased for a friend has never worked out.Just bought a RHD draglink and going to look at that option this weekend.All the good set-ups are going to require moving the trackbar,sway bar mounts,and steering stabilizer.

Semper Fi said:
so should I replace the tie rod and drag link also? Also I have boomerang shackles to be put on and I'm going to be putting spacers on it in the front to level it out, no more than an inch, will the angles still be good enough to not worry about a drop pitman arm?

yes, you should be fine without a drop pitman arm. although i dont think it would cause a problem if you did get one. i believe a drop pitman arm only drops the draglink about 3/4". best thing to do would be to install the lift with a HD track bar and mount and see if there is a need for a DPA. i dont think you will need it though

on my 89, im at 4.5" with a zj tie rod and the stock drag link. i have had no issues with that set up. for the suspension up front, i have 3" coils with spacers on top, adjustable upper and lower control arms and adjustable track bar with the tie rod end. my next purchase will be a new HD trackbar with mount.

89xj said:
yes, you should be fine without a drop pitman arm. although i dont think it would cause a problem if you did get one. i believe a drop pitman arm only drops the draglink about 3/4". best thing to do would be to install the lift with a HD track bar and mount and see if there is a need for a DPA. i dont think you will need it though

on my 89, im at 4.5" with a zj tie rod and the stock drag link. i have had no issues with that set up. for the suspension up front, i have 3" coils with spacers on top, adjustable upper and lower control arms and adjustable track bar with the tie rod end. my next purchase will be a new HD trackbar with mount.
so your saying that I could use a tie rod and drag link from a ZJ on mine if I need to. I think I have heard that before just forgot about it. That will save some money. I'm looking for a new trac bar now, do you have to buy a new mount for it also?

no you dont need to get one with a mount, but if you do it will have a tie rod end or a bushing in single shear. the mount allows you to run a bushing in double shear. there are a few joints or bushings to choose from. i am looking at getting the RE HD bar and mount that uses the RE sperical joint(not sure of the name) that is used on the RE super flex control arms that i have

Thanks for all of the help I will be buying a new trac bar soon and give that a try. I hope that is what is wrong. I thought I was done with the lift and things last year. I love the way it sits with the RE 3.5 Super Flex lift, but hated the ride. That is why I have bought the boomerang shackles and the spacers to level it out. I hope after this and some longer brake lines I'm done!!

ride has to do with your shocks and the angle of the lower controls.

i find the rear rides much better with alot of weight in the rear

yes I would agree but most of the time mine doesn't have anything in the back. I bought the Boomerangs from T&T. The guy that answered the phone had the same lift with the boomerangs on it and he told me it rode great. It can hurt anything and the ride can't get any worse!!

Semper Fi said:
yes I would agree but most of the time mine doesn't have anything in the back. I bought the Boomerangs from T&T. The guy that answered the phone had the same lift with the boomerangs on it and he told me it rode great. It can hurt anything and the ride can't get any worse!!

the jks 1" shackles that used did help with the ride. remember, RE springs are designed to be used with aftermarket bumpers and weight in the back.

THIS is the TeraFlex trackbar I have. Relativley cheap and very heavy compared to stock. I like it because it has the threaded piece in the middle. This allows for easy adjustment while having it connected at both ends. Just loosen the bolts on the threaded part and twist it with a pipe wrench. No need to disconnect, adjust then reconnect until it's right.

I highly recommend especially on a budget.

Back