• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator mister?

Not an answer, just a random thought.

Years ago I junkyard rigged a w/s washer bottle/pump and nozzle onto my old suburban for when I would tow the travel trailer. When starting up a grade I'd give it a few squirts, the water evaporating off the fins theoretically in my mind would assist in cooling, did I notice anything different, no, did I have some peace of mind, yes.

Snake Oil

The Lancer Evo had a mister on the intercooler a few years back, and they have since gotten rid of that feature because it really makes no difference.

Simple. As the water evaporates it removes heat. Same as a breeze blowing across a person who is perspiring or an evaporitive coolr. Basic physics.
Ever watch your engine temp during a rain shower? Still think it's snake oil? Get your rig up to normal temp and spray the radiator with a mist of water from a garden hose.

Will this product perform as advertised? You buy it and I'll test it for ya.:)

Frank Z said:
Simple. As the water evaporates it removes heat. Same as a breeze blowing across a person who is perspiring or an evaporitive coolr. Basic physics.
Ever watch your engine temp during a rain shower? Still think it's snake oil? Get your rig up to normal temp and spray the radiator with a mist of water from a garden hose.

Will this product perform as advertised? You buy it and I'll test it for ya.:)

And the second the water evaporates, we're back to square 1.

I saw something for ricers some time ago that sprayed co2 from infront of the radiator. Its seems that might do more good than water, but I don't remember the price.

Turboed drag cars put this on intercooler to cool it just a little bit more to gain a denser air charge to add more fuel so they can make more horse power.

j33pownr said:
Turboed drag cars put this on intercooler to cool it just a little bit more to gain a denser air charge to add more fuel so they can make more horse power.

CO2 displaces oxygen (example... fire extinguishers)... and even still how would putting it on the intercooler make for a better air charge for the intake?

downhillracer said:
CO2 displaces oxygen (example... fire extinguishers)... and even still how would putting it on the intercooler make for a better air charge for the intake?

Because you're spraying it on the outside of the cooler element (so it doesn't mix with the intake charge) and it increases the heat transfer through the charge air cooler (increasing the density of the intake charge air.) Spraying liquid/cryo CO2 on an air/air heat exchanger will drastically increase the efficiency of the thing. As long as you're running a heat exchanger in good condition, you won't have CO2 mixing with the charge air and displacing the oxygen, as they will be physically separated.

downhillracer said:
okee-silly-dilly-dokey-o I'm an idiot. Just slap me next time and tell me to read closer. thanks 5-90

I just figured you hadn't seen a detail of the system, or seen a system "in the flesh," as it were. It would work the same way as a water mister, or a water/alcohol mister - just more efficiently. I've set up a couple on high-boost turbocharged engines.

I was being serious. I skimmed through it and thought that he was injecting co2 into the system.... like a wet system. I can definitely see how co2 on the outside would cool.

downhillracer said:
I was being serious. I skimmed through it and thought that he was injecting co2 into the system.... like a wet system. I can definitely see how co2 on the outside would cool.

I'd figured - that's why I explained. As long as you learn something, it's not time wasted, no?:D

There are benefits to a wet system (similar,) but you - naturally - will need to either use a fuel or an oxygenate. Even something that's only relatively inert - like water or a water/alcohol mix - will help by reducing chamber temperatures and ping (water/methanol foggers were originally used, as I recall, on piston-engine aircraft in WWII.)

Back