• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences between Regular D44 & '07 Rubi D44 Gears

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know details on the differences between the gears & carrier on an XJ rear D44 & an '07 Rubi rear D44? What would it take to put an '07 rubi D44 rear electric locker in an XJ44 housing?

xj92 said:
Does anybody know details on the differences between the gears & carrier on an XJ rear D44 & an '07 Rubi rear D44? What would it take to put an '07 rubi D44 rear electric locker in an XJ44 housing?

Don't think it will work. I think they changed some physical bearing sizes and beefed up the size of the pinion.

I could be wrong though. We've had both of our JK's torn down for re-gears and the gears were different than basic d44 stuff.

Not sure if they upgraded spline count or not either.

I know the gear set of the aluminium Dana 44a (also known as the Dana 44 HD) found in the Grand Cherokees differ from other D44's. Could it be that the gear sets of the Rubi D44 and the D44 HD are the same?

gorman said:
I know the gear set of the aluminium Dana 44a (also known as the Dana 44 HD) found in the Grand Cherokees differ from other D44's. Could it be that the gear sets of the Rubi D44 and the D44 HD are the same?

HELLLLLZ NO, Aluminum 44's are crap... one big hit to the pumkin and your ring gear is toast.. hell, even lifting it with a jack fom the diff. will bend the axle tubes.. And the internals ae no where near as beefy as the Rubicon, seeing as they hardly compare to a stock 44

I know the alu D44's have a weak casing, but they have heavy duty gear sets (i.e. they have 29 spline yoke - in fact they use a Dana 60 yoke and a much beefier pinion than a normal D44). My question was whether the gear sets (i.e. ring and pinion) are perhaps similar to the Rubi gears. Wasn't referring to casing strength at all.

They have to be different seeing as there was only one locker made for it in shot runs, so the carrier is different. Also the gears only go to 4.56 for the AL44

Back