• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 to 4.0 swap

mjdavis31

NAXJA Forum User
so im doing some work on a ladys XJ and she has anoter one she wants to give me with 4 cyl. and a 4 speed = crap , but i have a 4.0 engine and an ax 15 in my garage what all needs to be changed on the 4.0 body to make my stuff bolt up I also have a 231 and the crossmember my main ? is in regards to the motor mounts and all the bolt holes for the x-member so let me know what you know.:roll:

I did one of those about 6 years ago so the memory's a little fuzzy. I had both complete vehicles to work with and swapped everything that was different. It's a lot. If I didn't have both complete bodies sitting there it would have really sucked to do. Swap the fuel lines first as it's hard to get them in with the engine there! The motor mount pads that bolt to the unibody are different. I don't remember exactly on the crossmember but I think there's two sets of bolt holes and it fit on one or the other.

Everywhere something needs to bolt up there'll already be a dimple, just drill it out- for the cooling bottle bracket and stuff like that.

Go to the junkyard and buy a 4.0 xj for all the small stuff. It'll be worth the money just in fuel lines alone, not to mention wire harnesses, radiator supports etc. When mine was finished I took it to the state smog shop and he didn't believe it wasn't factory. It was- just not on that vehicle.

Back