• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this radiator worth it?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My radiator has started leaking so i called around and it looks like the cheapest one i can get is gonna cost $130. I found this on ebay, and sent the guy a message and got a price that is well below 130 for Buy It Now.

My question is, what do you guys think? anything i should ask about or watch out for. I am considering going up and picking this up tomorrow if its a good deal. Think this is worth the few extra dollars over getting a new OEM replacement one w/ the plastic side tanks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...70205543599&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

also, is the TJ bolt pattern the same as the XJ one?

well, its a radiator for a Wrangler.....so......do you have a wrangler too?

look at your XJ radiator, then look at the pic again....then look back and forth about 8 more times. they look nothing like each other....

but you're on the right track - you do want one without the plastic tanks!!!

hey buddy just go to the junkyard and buy a used one. I bought one for 30bucks and the rad still has the silver shine to it and it looks almost brand new. Screw ebay on stuff like that

check out radiator barn.com 128.00 shipped with all metal radiator

u can buy 4 rads for 128.00 at the junkyard. I guess i recommend the junkyard because i bought over 500bucks of parts from the junkyard.

ok, nevermind. I didn't compare them at all. I have been up for 2 days finishing up a 4 week intersession class, and a bunch of other crap, so as important as my vehicle is, it took a backseat to all the other crap i had going on today.

I am worried about a junkyard one being crap, but i may go down to ecology tomorrow. it's raining so i think stuff is 1/2 off anyway.

as far as getting one from that radiatorbarn or whatever, I gotta fix it tomorrow, so unless they can teleport that thing to me, it's a no go.

anyway, thanks for the info.

one more question though. mine has the external tranny cooler, so do i need to buy one without the trans line fittings, or can they just not be used if they are there?

DrMoab said:
cause they like to rupture.

Plastic tanks on a radiator is a stupid idea.

I thought that back when I was a Buick mechanic and GM 1st introduce them, but I never seen one rupture and the only seal failure was on a six year old radiator, about normal life for an XJ from what I read here.

Before I left the Transit System we were starting to use them on the diesel buses also.

Muad'Dib said:
They are still used if you have a stock tranny cooler.
If you have an aftermarket cooler its a good idea to still run the fluid through the radiator to keep the transmission fluid at the proper temperature (in this case warm it up). You dont want to have the tranny fluid be too cold as well as too hot.

Maud'Dib, I just read that book today. Epic.

Back