• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TnT bellypan and T'case linkage problem

IllianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ILLXJ and I installed a TNT LA kit on my XJ a little while back. During the install we had to use a prybar to pull the skid to the D/S so the framerail bolt holes lined up. I finally got around to adjusting my t'case linkage today, and found that by having to move the skid to the D/S, the linkage got pushed over as well, making it virtually impossible to shift into 4LO. Pics below illustrate it better.

Stock (pic taken from the rear borrowed from needsrepair)

stocklinkage.jpg

My linkage in 2hi:

HPIM0956.jpg

Linkage "bracket" thing hitting the unibody "bracket":

HPIM0957.jpg

Linkage with the t'case forced manually into 4lo (you can see the space created by forcing the bracket to push against the unibody bracket):

HPIM0958.jpg

Any ideas on how to correct this? I haven't contacted TNT yet, they never replied to any of my emails I have sent for other things, so I wanted to ask here first.

Measure to where the tranny mount bolts are and I'll compare to my belly pan and see where they sit. I'd guess that you might need to loosen all the bolts but not remove them and then manually force the whole set up (tranny bolted to the belly pan) over and tighten the bolts when you have the clearance to shift into 4LO.

D/S framerail bolts to D/S trans bolts - 15 1/2"
P/S framerail bolts to P/S trans bolts - 16"

I can't move it any farther to the P/S, the bolts are already hitting the end of the slot.

We didn't remove the trans mount when we did the install.

I had the same problem with my Full Traction kit. It seemed that the motor/trans was sitting father forward than it should be causing the linkage to be at an angle, when I went to shift it into low it would hit one of the bolts holding in the shaft bearing in the body side. I still have not figured out how to fix it correctly, I removed the one bolt temporally to make it shift and its really not going anywhere, but its not right.

I'll go measure and see what it looks like. Another quick thought, if I remember correctly, your motor mounts are able to slide a bit as well.....might be able to adjust the tranny angle my moving the motor over to the passanger side some.

IllianaXJ said:
D/S framerail bolts to D/S trans bolts - 15 1/2"
P/S framerail bolts to P/S trans bolts - 16"

I can't move it any farther to the P/S, the bolts are already hitting the end of the slot.

We didn't remove the trans mount when we did the install.

I got the same numbers and I've got about 1/4" of the shaft showing before it goes into the body side support. It seems like its engaged in 4lo, but I couldn't ever be sure until its acutally moving.....which its not at the moment. The shift lever is touching the bracket though.....so I donno. I'd call TNT..... Mine looks like Sting25's.

And I was wrong about the engine mounts....don't know what I was thinking there.

Plan to call TNT tomorrow. It only needs a little bit, I may try and get my Dremel in there and grind it down a bit. I hope I can get it resolved, I'm going to have to adjust it again when I put in the Teralow and 2low.

Any response from TnT about this problem? Was thinking about one of their belly skids but now I'm not so sure.

Its very very possible that they gave you the wrong belly pan for your paticular year. In 2000-2001 the engine was pushed a little to the right to clear the bigger intake manifold. They could have given you the wrong belly pan. Being an 01 if they gave you a belly pan for an older jeep it would be pushing everything to the left, which would cause this problem.

Back