• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44

you can run 44's on the street if you like......:thumbup:

Once again.....

it depends on........ if you want to wheel the thing, or just drive it on the street, or just do mud, or big rocks, or have it locked, or leave it open, or be easy on the skinny pedal, or gas the shit out of it.......

so many factors.

But personally for what i do.... rocks........ I would say no.

According to Chash's Dana 44 Tech article relating to front 44's, he says a 33-spline D44 will hold up to 37's, and that's on the nasty, sharp, undercut rocks of Southern California. You can get away with more depending on your engine, axle gearing, T-case gearing, terrain, and driving style.

i wheel on alot of just large fuck off rocks and some mud,and i do i have a issues with the skinny pedel as in i like to use it.It will be ran on the high way goin to and from the trails.

just run 60's, or a 14B rear, whatever huge 1-ton axles you can find in the local junkyard.

rear 44? not for very long

front 44?, on every steroid known to axles, perhaps. but beware of ring and pinion failure.

I have seen many well built 44's on 38's frag in the mud...

I ran a 44 converted 3/4 ton outers on my 79 Bronco pushing over 400 hp and 38's.It was a Jersey mud truck and never hurt it.Now if you are thinking of running rocks then I would be worried about.

sorry to hijack but I have a D30/D44 combo in my 98. I am running 31's right now but would I be ok to lock my axles and run 33's? I do wheel in the rocks but nothing extreme (yet)

rosco said:
sorry to hijack but I have a D30/D44 combo in my 98. I am running 31's right now but would I be ok to lock my axles and run 33's? I do wheel in the rocks but nothing extreme (yet)

I ran a D44 with 33" x 12.5 BFG muds, 4.56: 1 and a spool in my first two rigs... stock 30 spline shafts, spicer gears.... three years of abuse + DD use and the shaft splines looked fine.

Don't expect stock shafts to hold up to 'drag racing' type antics or mongo wheel-hopping fun in dry rocks (too much, ya sometimes gotta do what ya gotta do) and you should be fine.

Ya see I was confused .I thought he was asking about a front axle not a rear axle.What do you plan to run on the front to deal with those 38's?A rear 44 will not last long 38's and rocks .One good spin and then some traction it will be done.

Wil Badger said:
Ya see I was confused .I thought he was asking about a front axle not a rear axle.What do you plan to run on the front to deal with those 38's?A rear 44 will not last long 38's and rocks .One good spin and then some traction it will be done.

The orginal poster's talking about 38's and another poster asked about 33's.... It's getting confusing..

As for a Rear 44 not lasting long w/ 38's and rocks... I disagree.. Im running an Isuzu Rodeo 44 (stock 1.5" 30spline shafts) and a TNT truss... I wheel 37" Comp Compound Trepadors... Been wheeling it like this for months now in rocks and no issues (knock on wood)... maybe i'm lucky but we'll see how long it lasts.. I do have spare shafts sitting in the garage ($30.00 from pull-a-part). I do think the truss helps out a lot though.

Wil Badger said:
Right as I was typing.

Your 30 will not even begin to last with 38's even if you alloyed it.

Yeah sorry, I kinda hijacked the thread to ask about 33's on D30/D44 I was just asking what my d30 would need to run 33's locked.

Back