• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble balancing tires

jeeperzcreeperz

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a set of 36/13.50/15 iroks on R.K street lock wheels(15x10) I can't get blanced. I tried to have it static balanced and it did ok up to 45-50 then it shook like crazy and ended up in death wobble. So I took all the weights off and put 10oz of plastic bb's in each and now I can't get past 40 without it starting to throw a fit. Anyone else have this problem???
I'm lost at this point as what to do.

well you are running bias ply swampers on the steet.... what do you expect......

If you want a smooth ride.... get some radials.:rof:

yah, yah I know bias ply arnt the best, but i want to be able to drive it to where I wheel. It has the jcr 1ton steering on it, new trac bar,arm bushings, wheel bearings. I had 35" mtr's on it and it work great up to 80mph without a steering stabilizer. Soon as I put the 36's on it went to hell. Thats why i'm lost it went from good to bad over night.

Like i said..... MTR's are pretty smooth riding radials & Iroks are Bias ply and made by Interco- i dont think their main objective with that tire was for smooth road driving..... Sure i have heard that some Bias tires arnt too bad, Creepies??? But i think you just got to live with it....... Maybe try some more BB weight.

I know there not going to be smooth, I would just like to be able to get above 40mph lol with out them shaking so hard it puts the jeep into death wobble. :( Might try to put 5oz more into it

the gsp9700 is usually an option, so you should mention it to them beforehand to make sure they use that machine and not their normal machine. also, some shops will charge extra to use it, so call around and see if you can find one that does not charge extra. good luck.

I got one word for yah....ROUND....tire must be ROUND.....I'll bet they are not ROUND.....yes you can balance an out of round tire....but that wont make it round....if its not round it will hop up and down....and cause serious problems including DW.

Jack the rig up on jack stands, put it in 4 lo....and watch the tires....it dont take much out of round to cause serious problems. Most tire shops around here will not install TSLs on street rigs simply because of out of round/out of balance problems...

I had a set of 12.5/33 tsl bias that acted that very way...once I found a shop that would true them THEN balance them they rode fine. This is all assuming you dont have other problems like a bent wheel/bad hubs, etc.

I've been through this many times thats why I just stick to radials, as for the most round tires I've ever run that would be MTZs followed by MTRs.

My MTZs took 2-4oz per tire.

MudDawg said:
I got one word for yah....ROUND....tire must be ROUND.....I'll bet they are not ROUND.....yes you can balance an out of round tire....but that wont make it round....if its not round it will hop up and down....and cause serious problems including DW.

Jack the rig up on jack stands, put it in 4 lo....and watch the tires....it dont take much out of round to cause serious problems. Most tire shops around here will not install TSLs on street rigs simply because of out of round/out of balance problems...

I had a set of 12.5/33 tsl bias that acted that very way...once I found a shop that would true them THEN balance them they rode fine. This is all assuming you dont have other problems like a bent wheel/bad hubs, etc.

True had some of the bad batch 33" TRXus MTs and couldn't go over 45mph.

i'm going to have them done today and see, if i cant get them balanced there goin down the road, I drive my rig to the trails and I can't do it going 40 that would take all day to get there

just a little tip. with the airsoft pellets you have to make sure you know how far your tires are off. i had one jeep that i couldn't seem to get balanced even though i gradually added about 1oz until i was at 7oz and it still would vibrate. so i took all the pellets out and put them on a balancer and it turned out the tires were about 9.5oz off. so obviously if you don't have enough weight in them, they can't function.

also with the abuse that our tires/wheels see, i like to compensate just a little. so i generally add about 2-3oz more than needed depending on the size of tire.

10oz is a hefty amount, but if for whatever reason your tires are 11oz or more off, then 10oz obviously won't do.

i didn't look at the link posted above, but there are machines that i've worked with where the wheel and tire actually get balanced to each other first by re-aligning the tire to the wheel and then finishing off the rest with weights.
using those machines, i've seen wheel/tire combos that started off being like 7oz off-balance come down to as little as 1/2oz off once the tire and wheel were aligned to each other. then you just balance the last 1/2 oz with a weight.

I took the bb's out and took them to have em balanced. The closest onewas 8 oz off on the front at 9.5 on the rear. two hours later the machine read 00-00 on each of the tires. Drove it 75 no trouble.:)

Hey Creeperz, did they use that fancy balancing machine?

Back