• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blocks Vs Add-a-leaf

B.C.XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a RE 4.5" kit installed in my 98 XJ. I'm going up about 1.5" more. I have drop brackets for the front with ACOS but I'm trying to figure out what is the best route with the rear.
I've done several searches on the topic but it hasn't help me with a decision. Whenever blocks are mentioned there is usually a buch of "flaming" the block route. Will kill your leaf springs is usually what I read. I'm not a real fan of blocks but is a 1.5" block really that bad? I know 6" blocks put a ton of leverage on the leaf but I don't really see that with small blocks.
The add-a-leaf route seems to me like it will kill my ride in the rear. I like the way the leaves ride now. Anyone add a RE add-a-leaf to a RE lift leaf?

I've seen the u-bolt eliminator thing but that's a little more work than I'm into right now.

Which route is the best?

Sure everyone has their opinions on this one, but i wanted to level things out abit in the back by 1", so this is what i did.

I got some 1" thick x 2.5" wide solid steel flat bar stock, cut it to the same length as my MORE perches, 7" long. Drilled a cetering hole & pinned it to my RE leaf pack using a longer centering leaf pack bolt. No way that thing is coming out & i achieved what i needed.... 1" extra lift.....easy!

I haved lived with a 1 inch block for the past year, but will soon be going higher. So the block are going away. I didn't have any prob's with the 1 inch, can't tell ya bout a 1 1/2 , shouldn't be too bad.

Is a bandaid fix? Or do you want to run it that way for a while?

why not use a longer shackle. sure the 1'' block would be all right but a longer shackle is easier to install and allows for slightly more droop in the rear springs when articulated.

The shackle from the RE kit is already longer than stock. The longest one up from that would net me about 1/2 lift total.

I'm leaning more to a full length add-a-leaf.

shackle(like mj shackles to stay cheap) and add a leafs. or either or...

Back