• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suck down winch

xalexjx

NAXJA Forum User
Have the rock-krawler 3 link in the front with a 94 xj. Not quite sure how to mount a suck down winch in the front...Has anyone done this? Thanks In advance

I also have a regular winch fabbed to fit my front reciever. I was thinking about mounting it to the back of this but im not sure yet...

I dont think it has anything to do with it being a 3 link..... i think it has more to do with how tall the rig is & the type of climbs you are trying to do with it.

Id like to see why,I never(almost never) see air in the front.The ass end does get light sometimes coming downhill, but its never been anything you couldnt just roll out of!
BTW,I know its not just a front thing,just more obvious!

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for this question but....whats a suck down winch? I know what a winch is because I have a winch, but what does "suck down" mean?

RCP Phx said:
Id like to see why,I never(almost never) see air in the front.The ass end does get light sometimes coming downhill, but its never been anything you couldnt just roll out of!
BTW,I know its not just a front thing,just more obvious!

I dont think you would need air in the front to get the benifit of a suck down set up..... think about when climbing something really steep & alot of weight is transfered onto the rear wheels because of the angle of the vehicle, taking weight off the front tires.... if you sucked down the front you could gain some more traction with the front tires....helping the climb.

A "suck down" winch is used to pull the front suspension down. It's connected between the winch and the front axle.

I've got a really low ride height for the tires I'm running, and I can't wait to get my winch hooked to the axle.

When you're climbing grades that the slightest amount of throttle input will make your rig go over backwards, or off-camber enough that you've got two wheels nearly off the ground and the sidewalls on your downhill tires folded over, you want a suck-down winch.

If you haven't experienced the above...well, get a cage first.

mikeforte said:
I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for this question but....whats a suck down winch? I know what a winch is because I have a winch, but what does "suck down" mean?

A winch that is used to compress the suspension at either end of the vehicle to aid in gaining traction or stability.

vetteboy said:
A "suck down" winch is used to pull the front suspension down. It's connected between the winch and the front axle.

I've got a really low ride height for the tires I'm running, and I can't wait to get my winch hooked to the axle.

When you're climbing grades that the slightest amount of throttle input will make your rig go over backwards, or off-camber enough that you've got two wheels nearly off the ground and the sidewalls on your downhill tires folded over, you want a suck-down winch.

If you haven't experienced the above...well, get a cage first.

So it lowers your front COG to keep you from flipping over? How cool. Never would have thought of doing that. I will keep that in mind. Do you use some kind of strap or just wrap the cable around the front axle?

uncc civilengineer said:
why the need for a suck down winch? I also have the RK 3-link... and dont see the need for the suck down winch...

Just try to climb some steeper climbs, you'll see right away the benefit of sucking the front axle down. It helps when the front end gets light on steep climbs, and can increase the stability and climbing ability, and it can keep you from going over backwards.

Goatman said:
Just try to climb some steeper climbs, you'll see right away the benefit of sucking the front axle down. It helps when the front end gets light on steep climbs, and can increase the stability and climbing ability, and it can keep you from going over backwards.
Yeah,but thats what I love about an XJ.Last year at MOAB,all the TJ's were "swatting" on the rear,causing the front to lift!

yup,, when im climbing steep grades my front end was unloading and my front axle would just sit there and spin. I was thinking if i lower donw my front end and put some tension on it, it will help out my cog and traction. Cage is on the way. Should be in by may or so. I did it the hard way and ordered 140' if dom steel ;) I searched but non of the other threads no one had them mounted to their reciever. Another guy who runs trails with me (tj d60's and 37's) rolled his twice and went to a suck down winch on the front and hasnt rolled it since. It made an amazing difference.

Goatman said:

Thanks for that...As for my post, all that was stated by the original poster was, " I have a RK 3-link, how do I mount my suck down winch"...nothing about the suspension setup at all.. This could lead others to believe hey I have the RK 3-link, maybe I need to get a suck down winch...

Also, I've noticed that with 90% of the steep climbs I do the ass end of the XJ's dragging the ground long before the front wants to come over backwards. Maybe it's just me but I don't have any issues w/ steep climbs, but I feel my XJ's pretty low for what it is. And most of the time I typically see "suck down" winches being used in conjunction w/ Air shocks and sometimes coilovers because they tend to unload easier.

IMO if your running "stock" XJ setup w/ coils up front and leafs out back and feel the need for a suck down winch... you're way to tall. Set up an Antirock or center limiting strap... but that's just my opinion...

Last edited:
uncc civilengineer said:
Thanks for that...As for my post, all that was stated by the original poster was, " I have a RK 3-link, how do I mount my suck down winch"...nothing about the suspension setup at all.. This could lead others to believe hey I have the RK 3-link, maybe I need to get a suck down winch...

Also, I've noticed that with 90% of the steep climbs I do the ass end of the XJ's dragging the ground long before the front wants to come over backwards. Maybe it's just me but I don't have any issues w/ steep climbs, but I feel my XJ's pretty low for what it is. And most of the time I typically see "suck down" winches being used in conjunction w/ Air shocks and sometimes coilovers because they tend to unload easier.

IMO if your running "stock" XJ setup w/ coils up front and leafs out back and feel the need for a suck down winch... you're way to tall. Set up an Antirock or center limiting strap... but that's just my opinion...

I think in most cases you're right, but the question is about using a suck down winch, and they do help. The degree to which they can be a benefit is dependant on the rig. My yellow XJ has coils/leaves with 7.5" of lift, and is well tuned for what I do with it. The rear bumber is very high clearance and I can get on some real steep climbs, and a suck down winch would definitely be an advantage. (I don't have one, but I do on the buggy) I can quickly think of a number of places at the Hammers, trails we run regularly, where it would be a big help, like the waterfall's on Backdoor, Wrecking Ball, and at the end of Sunbonnet, none of which I have ever been able to climb in the XJ partly because the front end gets too light. The buggy drives right up them.

Nah.. I was more so asking of how people had them mounted. I have a few friends who run them on their buggies and wouldnt even hit the trails w/o one. Im going to mount it onto the back side of the bumper and make a cross member above the axle with a pully or a similar set up. Ill have to wait to see what type of winch im getting. I was looking at the warn 1500 with power in/out with automatic breaking.

Edit: iv seen the same thing that goatman was explaining. I can get the front tires started up it but when the back tires hit the grade the front unloads and losses near all traction. I think this will help out my setup quite a bit.

I have thought about doing this also. I about went over two years ago on Metal Masher playing around. Some how I hit a rock just right and the front came back down. A suckdown would have helped out a lot. Pictures would be great!!

Back