• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie XJ HD Steering Sys

JWHIT67

NAXJA Forum User
Opinions on the Currie HD front end? Is this something I can install on my 98 XJ and have a shop align or just buy the parts and have the 4x4 shop install? Also, I have not lifted this jeep yet but the front end is making noise and want to upgrade to HD. Tax time! but also considering a ZJ replacement.

I have it. Works well. Any shop should be able to install. Mine is installed with a RE 5.5" lift. As far as your front-end noise, could you be more specific? What are you doing when it makes noise, just driving, turning, flexing the front end....? It may not be the steering, or may be a combination of things.

When turning the wheel left primarily (regardless of moving forward or not) but also with suspension travel. It started this summer when off road (deep snow now) which would aggrivate but with driving it around the sound would go away. Now pretty much all the time and now a clunk has developed. Thinking about reinforcing the steering preferrable with a heavy duty plate but was going to cross that bridge when I can see if there are any cracks. I know it needs a new steering damper. Firestone thought it might be the steering box ( a while back) loaded it with grease and it went away ( for a little while) also my alignment is off (both the steering wheel not centered and tracks to the right.) Bought the jeep used so don't know much history. Everything in the front end looks pretty worn gunky.

What about Rusty's Steering conversion kit? Less Expensive than currie but also not as heavy duty. Standard tie rod ends vs heim joints?

I've heard of the rustys kit having clearance issues with the Track Bar mount and/or steering stabilizer...

I say check the steering box, if you greased it and the noise went away and then came back I'd say it's the culprit. You don't want to spend a bunch of money to fix something and then have it not be the problem and then not have the money to fix what needs repaired. Unless you are looking for an excuse to buy it because the wife won't let you.

On a side note I'm trying to decide which one to get my self. I know a two guys with lifted XJ's, one has the rustys and the other has the currie HD. I can't secide which one to get, any pros or cons of either set up?

JWHIT67 said:
Opinions on the Currie HD front end? Is this something I can install on my 98 XJ and have a shop align or just buy the parts and have the 4x4 shop install? Also, I have not lifted this jeep yet but the front end is making noise and want to upgrade to HD. Tax time! but also considering a ZJ replacement.
I would verify that somebody somewhere on this board or elsewhere has experience with it on an XJ with no lift first. It is designed for a lifted XJ with at least 2" lift. Reason for that is the drag link ends are offset to allow for more travel in the joints before anything binds. It might work without a lift but I can't verify that 100%.

I have the rustys on my 98 with 5.5 RE LA kit. Works great. No binding issues.Only thing is my rubber things on the joints cracked and broke and fell off after the first two months. Rustys sent me new ones for free and they been fine ever since.

Back