• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build this weekend... I think.

zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
All the parts are here or scheduled to be here by Thursday... and I have the weekend OFF!!! STIOKED!!!

Projects to complete:

1) RE 3.5" kit with adj. UCAs and 6* shims (I know this is smaller than I want- but the wife would be pissed with the ride height of the 4.5 kit as a DD)
2) H&T SYE and installation of a '91 auto front ds (got new joints to install in that one)
3) Tomken gas tank skid
4) Custom 4x4 rocker guards
5) JKS BPEs and OME shocks
6) maybe some more lights for the roof rack
7) TnT Customs bellypan if it arrives for the build
8) Rear hitch receiver

I think I have all the parts I need... is there something obscure or insanely obvious that I might be missing that will kill progress if I don't have it?

If you're interested in coming by- PM me and I'll send the address- if not- no worries.

Andy

6* shims are too much. You won't need any shims whatsoever on a 3.5" lift. What rear axle do you have?

Just thought I'd pass along my experience with teh Tomken gas tank skid. Tomken says they are compatible with most trailer hitches, so maybe you won't have this issue... but my Draw-Tite hitch was not compatible. I had to cut out part of the gas tank skid to get my hitch back on.

It was no big deal, but I thought I would give a heads up...

Jump This said:
I don't see 'Keg of Fat Tire' anywhere on your list!!

:D

To me that's a plus. But I also don't see a keg of Arrogant Bastard on the list.

ocean_jet said:
Just thought I'd pass along my experience with teh Tomken gas tank skid. Tomken says they are compatible with most trailer hitches, so maybe you won't have this issue... but my Draw-Tite hitch was not compatible. I had to cut out part of the gas tank skid to get my hitch back on.

It was no big deal, but I thought I would give a heads up...

i also have a draw-tite hitch... what model did you have and where did you have to make your adjustment? thanks for that heads-up!

zeelaagee said:
i also have a draw-tite hitch... what model did you have and where did you have to make your adjustment? thanks for that heads-up!

I don't know what model hitch I have... I have a 97 XJ if that helps. I can get the model number after work.

On the gas tank skid, in the back where it mounts up under the bumper, there is a little triangle of metal welded in. I had to cut away a little bit of that triagle of metal to get the hitch to fit.

It's kind of hard to see in this picture, but there is one of those little triangle on each side.

TOmken-GasTankSkid.jpg

zeelaagee said:
i have an 8.25 rear... 6* was suggested as per RE... :dunno:

Cool.. Sounds like your going to have fun this weekend - :repair: Start spraying all of your bolts with PB Blaster today.

I don't know why RE would recommend 6* shims. :dunno: Typically, 3* shims are needed for a 4.5" lift.. Like Josh said, you may not even need shims at 3.5" If you search NAXJA's Modified Forum and Google, you'll find many write-ups on how to set your pinion angle , which should be done after you install the lift and sye.

TIRES, TIRES, TIRES!!! YOU FORGOT BIGGER TIRES!!!!
LOL.. Do you already have tires?? What kind and size are you going with??

E

oh yeah- did not mention... got new wheels and tires too- figuered that one was a given so i didn't say.

i got the PC Rock Crawler Black Steel 15x8s with the D windows and 31x10.5 BFG ATKOs all ready to go!

Been spraying the PB Blast for a week now... which reminds me... I'm due for another squirt. (no not a #2!- YOU GUYS are so predictable!)

I can almost guarantee that you wont need any. I'm running a 99 with an 8.25 and 4* were causing the pinion to point up too much. I'm currently running with no shims.

But before you crank down your ubolts on the rear, check to make sure your pinion angle is -2 to -3* compared to the driveshaft. If you add those 6* shims, chances are the pinion angle will either line up at 0 deg with the driveshaft or will be above, either of which are incorrect.

thanks guys! i really appreciate that heads up on that one... hope i can get the $ back on those shims if i don't need them. 6* sounded like a lot to me when Sean at RE said as much- but wtf do i know?

yep- it's happening- this weekend, with the bulk of the work hopefully being completed tomorrow... i know i'll run into "something".

if anyone's in the carlsbad area, you're not out looking to play in the mud, and want to participate, let me know... lunch is on me.

give me a call at 858-692-2522.

Back