• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a nice trail & trout.

zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking of doing a trip over Easter break- last week of March. Any recommendations?

Criteria:
1) South of Fresno- or not too far out from.
2) Something with a fun trial- not too advanced, I'm noob and probably the only rig will be mine.
3) Camping available.
4) Dog friendly.
5) Has a nice stream for trout fishing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy

how 'bout heading east- eastern sierras are the closest I can think of that I'm aware of.

John, you know of any down this way? I hear Trabuco Canyon might produce. Not heard anything else.

bassthumb said:
John, you know of any down this way? I hear Trabuco Canyon might produce. Not heard anything else.

Doubt that fishery got hammered by the fires. A few of the pools that held through the summer and had fish in them were filled in by some rockslides/mudflows.

Try the Rincon trail up in the Angeles NF. Starts in Asuza Canyon near the OHV area., The trail climbs the ridge then drops down into the west fork of the San Gabriel. It may have special regs. I'll see if I can dig em up.

You could always go to Devil's Hole at the end of 3N34D. I believe the fishing regulations are no bait and single barbless hooks.

Monache Meadows looks like a nice place and I plan on making a trip up there this year some time but I think the fishing regulations are the same which usually means small fish and not that many. Also, I am not 100% sure but it might be closed for fishing until "opening day" which is usually around the last weekend of april or so.

I have been trout fishing in the Eastern Sierra's my whole life. Mostly in the Mammoth area. I plan on taking a week off this summer to go up there to offroad and find some new fishing area's.

karstic said:
Doubt that fishery got hammered by the fires. A few of the pools that held through the summer and had fish in them were filled in by some rockslides/mudflows.
thanks for the headsup. you fish?

Rincon is closed until spring along with the OHV area down there. May I suggest Kern River. Lots of trails camping right on the river. Well a very short walk. Good trout to boot.

If you want to go to Monache proper, Yes because it is gated.

Damn. All this talk of fishing's making me jones for wetting a line.

XJMilan said:
What are the fishing regulations up there? I assume single barbless hooks only (fly fishing).

Artificial barbless.

The regs are all online. Just do www.dfg.ca.gov, and follow the links to rules and regs. For trout you have to go about it a little differently than other species: The state is divided up into different districts. So, find the district you are interested in then look at the list of "Waters With Special Regulations". It will have them listed in alphabetical order. If there is no special regs listed for that water, the season, limit, hours, method of take, etc. will be the same as the general regs.

Back