• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's on a daily driver

5.13's were great back when I used to daily drive...

run the deepest gears your front and rear axle will allow...

probably 4.88 unless you have an 8.25 rear... then 4.56 is the only choice...

i run 4.56 but with i had 4.88 - its not bad and has good throttle repsonse and decent mpg - oh 44 in the rear and 30 front

I went to 35's a month or so ago with 4:56's in the diffs.I was fully planning on installing 4:88's, but after driving it a month now on 4:56's I like it how it is, and am going to install a terralow in the tc instead.

When I went to 35's on my DD, I had 4.56 and it was unbearable. Within a month I was on 4.88's.

I got 21.7 mpg doing 55 out to Truckhaven last weekend on 35" MT/R's with 4.88's.

cal said:
When I went to 35's on my DD, I had 4.56 and it was unbearable. Within a month I was on 4.88's.

I got 21.7 mpg doing 55 out to Truckhaven last weekend on 35" MT/R's with 4.88's.[/quote]

Damn, that is pretty good!!

4.88s but then i climb some pretty heavy grades on a daily basis

ford nine inch rear, hp 44 front, leaf spring conversion

ColoradoRaptor said:
cal said:

I got 21.7 mpg doing 55 out to Truckhaven last weekend on 35" MT/R's with 4.88's.[/quote]

Damn, that is pretty good!!

I have really good brakes and draft RV's a lot. :)

I have 4.56 & 35's and to be absolutely honest its not bad at all. Trans still runs in OD on the freeway & still pulls reasonably well up hills. The only time i wish for something a little deeper is when towing..... which i dont do very often.... Remember 4.56 to 4.88 is not a huge change...... like 7%?? So i dont see how one ratio could suck & another be the best thing since sliced bread??
Maybe those with "non" high output 4.0's struggle a little more with this, since they are lacking a little power. My 107 00 mile old High Output 4.0 does just fine.
JMO

cal said:

I got 21.7 mpg doing 55 out to Truckhaven last weekend on 35" MT/R's with 4.88's.

WOW.. thats impressive bud!

mattyj said:
Maybe those with "non" high output 4.0's struggle a little more with this, since they are lacking a little power. My 107 00 mile old High Output 4.0 does just fine.
JMO

Not only are they lower power, but they have a higher overdrive too, by 5%. Add that to the 7% difference in gearing .. it adds up.

cal said:
Not only are they lower power, but they have a higher overdrive too, by 5%. Add that to the 7% difference in gearing .. it adds up.

Fair enough... that makes sence.

See i knew you could straighten things out Cal..... you are always good for the technical stuff.:D

im runnin 35 x 12.5 maxxis big hornes with a 44 in the rear and a 30 in the front with 4.10 gears, and lock rit lockers. i get about 17 ish on the highway, and i have no trouble gettin up and moving. i have a 4.0 ho 5 spd.

:patriot:

I am having this same debate with my self. Right now I have 33s and in about 6 months I will have 35s. This is my daily driver and gets a ton of use. People make it sound like 4.56 is horrible on 35s though :(

I run 4.56's with my 35's but I have a stroker. I get 21mpg at 65 on the interstate here at 5000 ft.

newrig.jpg

Back