• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hypertech power programer

renomn1

NAXJA Forum User
I recently was checking out parts for my xj on jegs.com when I stumbled upon the Hypertech power programer for the 4.0. I had a couple of ?s Is it really worth the $400 and does it add a lot of power? Can I use it on multiple jeeps or will it only work on just one like other hypertechs?

I couldn't get the hpp3 to work on mine. It made the engine ping on the 87 setting (with less than 50% throttle)with 87 octane AND 93 octane, so needless to say the 93 setting didn't work. It didn't raise the redline by 400rpm, nor raised the governor to 128mph. At least the code reader portion was able to clear the codes that were set by using it. It probably works great on some Jeeps, just not on mine. The HPP3 will only work on one vehicle at a time.

gradon said:
I couldn't get the hpp3 to work on mine. It made the engine ping on the 87 setting (with less than 50% throttle)with 87 octane AND 93 octane, so needless to say the 93 setting didn't work. It didn't raise the redline by 400rpm, nor raised the governor to 128mph. At least the code reader portion was able to clear the codes that were set by using it. It probably works great on some Jeeps, just not on mine. The HPP3 will only work on one vehicle at a time.
What do you have done to your motor? any other upgrades that could be causing it to do that and did you ever contact hypertech and ask them about it?

My 96 has the 99+intake ported a bit(more like cleaned up the injector bosses and casting seams), 62mmTB, K&N FIPK, Borla header and cat back with magnaflow cat, and now the Jet stage 2. I bought the HPP3 used for $100 and resold for $150 to a "happy" owner. I bought the Jet 2 for $90 and it's okay but not near as much of a difference the Jet 2 made in my 94 with OBD1. I'm gonna get a Split Second PSC-1 sometime and get used to it before the 4.6 gets put in. Anyhow google "craigslist Jeep Jet or Hypertech" and you'll be able to get either of these chips/programmers for cheap. Oh yeah, I don't know if I'd try to combine both as they might have conflicting signals/levels.

Last edited:
gradon said:
My 96 has the 99+intake ported a bit(more like cleaned up the injector bosses and casting seams), 62mmTB, K&N FIPK, Borla header and cat back with magnaflow cat, and now the Jet stage 2. I bought the HPP3 used for $100 and resold for $150 to a "happy" owner. I bought the Jet 2 for $90 and it's okay but not near as much of a difference the Jet 2 made in my 94 with OBD1. I'm gonna get a Split Second PSC-1 sometime and get used to it before the 4.6 gets put in. Anyhow google "craigslist Jeep Jet or Hypertech" and you'll be able to get either of these chips/programmers for cheap. Oh yeah, I don't know if I'd try to combine both as they might have conflicting signals/levels.
Didn't see anthing ther for the 4.0

Back