• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do not miss this if you're wheeling Moab!

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
Well, what is it? This will likely be the only time I'm able to make it out there. What are the places that I must see/do. Stuff that is the best of the best so to speak. Take into account all aspects of wheeling moab, weather it be scenery or just a really great wheeling spot. Lay it on me.

Hale

I would say to take one day and see Arches, and drive up to Island in the Sky in Canyonlands. There is great scenery on every trail out there, but the views from Island are incredible, and some of the stuff in Arches is surreal...

I'll let others chime in on the wheeling, Hells Revenge would probably be a must do, although it's not my favorite...

I'd have to agree...go see Arches. Also drive up to Dead Horse Point SP. Fantastic view, then go on up into Canyon Lands, good view there too. Either take Schafer Road (long) and a side trip to Mussel Man Arch ot take Long Canyon back down to the river canyon floor.
Not sure what trail you want to run, but recommend Top of The World for another scenic view...aw heck what am I rambling about they're all scenic.

See you in Oct.

Tom

Haleyes said:
Well, what is it? This will likely be the only time I'm able to make it out there. What are the places that I must see/do. Stuff that is the best of the best so to speak. Take into account all aspects of wheeling moab, weather it be scenery or just a really great wheeling spot. Lay it on me.

Hale

Me :D

Seriously. This might be my only trip too. Nate and I were talking about taking a couple days, taking the wives and hitting all the things that are just cool to see.

We need a sightseeing convoy.

This may seem trivial, but on the way in, take the scenic route by the river instead of the interstate. Much more scenic and more than makes up for the extra time.

Definately a day in Arches, there are some amazing hikes. The gate fee is $10, so not bad for all that is in there.

Dad and I spent a day in the Canyonlands backcountry in the Jeep just exploring. No map, no GPS. Probably a bad idea, but that was awesome. Getting out at night was interesting though. I'd say that was my favorite part of the trip.

As for trails, Hell's Revenge is fun, but not my favorite. Fins n Things makes for a good warmup trail, and it is fun also. We did mini-Lions back several times, mainly because Dad had never wheeled and he was all about it.

All first time visitors to Moab should take the road down Long Canyon just to get the poser shot under the fallen rock.
moab2006spring087.jpg

On your way to Moab, if there is still an hour of daylight, from westbound I-70, get off at the first Cisco exit, exit 212 in Utah, go past the town to state road 128 the river road, 128 only go toward the river and is better than the road through Cisco. This will take you to the north edge of Moab and give you an idea of some of the landscape your in for. Take your time, pull off and enjoy. Let the faster traffic by. It's a shorter route, but much slower speeds. If it rains (though rare), you have to take a trip west of the main road into town, on the north side of the Colorado River. Water falls everywhere!

IllianaXJ said:
This may seem trivial, but on the way in, take the scenic route by the river instead of the interstate. Much more scenic and more than makes up for the extra time.

I planned on that wether he liked it or not. Very nice "side" trip after a long haul on the interstate. JIM.

RangerRick said:
On your way to Moab, if there is still an hour of daylight, from westbound I-70, get off at the first Cisco exit, exit 212 in Utah, go past the town to state road 128 the river road, 128 only go toward the river and is better than the road through Cisco. This will take you to the north edge of Moab and give you an idea of some of the landscape your in for. Take your time, pull off and enjoy. Let the faster traffic by. It's a shorter route, but much slower speeds. If it rains (though rare), you have to take a trip west of the main road into town, on the north side of the Colorado River. Water falls everywhere!

X2000!! my first trip out i took that route just because i saw it on the map and it was amazing.. in a matter of minutes you drop out of the bland gray desert into a colorful canyon that towers over you.. i swear its as close to a religious experience as ive ever had.. before i got into town that day io knew i'd be back.... october 08 will be my 3rd trip.

DrMoab said:
You guys are all screwed up.

The only thing not to miss in Moab is all the Beer my find out of state friends bring along with them.

you are so right.. but us out-of-staters tend to take that for granted sometimes.

Beer? We Have to bring beer to get into the state ? We don,t produce any "Beer"here only Coors (Elkton.Va). But we do have a local white product that I may bring.Think of it as a fuel additive--

See you on the trail
Wayne

The Green River Bowknot overlook is amazing, easy trail but worth the view.

seanR said:
SeanR wheeling Jeeplas' WK on Hells Revenge, Escalator, Hells Gate, you know the drill.....

I'll be there.:thumbup:

Back