• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are these parts compatible.

PosiDave

NAXJA Forum User
I blew a T-case in a 88 XJ. The model I blew was a 242amc. I was wondering if anyone knew if everything from a 88 NP231 was completely compatible with it.

I was also wondering if the brake drum set-up from a 2000, would be compatible with that of a 96 if they had the same rear.

The 242 equipped XJ's have a non-disconnect front end while the 231 was disconnect. If you are used to having "fulltime" 4x4 you will lose that option as the 231 does not live long with all four on dry pavement (i.e.without slippage).

As for spline counts and driveshaft compatibility, they "should" interchange. You will probably want to change the tcase shift bezel for one from a 231 equipped unit just to make life easier, not to mention linkage adjustments. The only way to know with any relative certaintly is to perform an input spline count and compare length overall on both units. If you can swap them (and you don't use fulltime for snow, ice, wet roads) you would be getting a bit of a stronger tcase (let the debates begin), and arguably more options for upgrades.

For the brakes, as far as I know as long as they are the same rear (D35), they "should" interchange. Although someone else will have to weigh in on this, all my junk is RENIX / non-ABS.

HTH

The brakes are for the 8.25" rear. both are the same axle.

The T-Case this is my like fix it and get it out of the yard jeep. I wanna sell it with a T-case so someone can drive it and not sut use it as a parts truck. I put alot of stuff into it but don't have the time or money to fix both of my jeeps.

Back