• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing crome....

jragan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a winch bumper I really like however it is crome and I really hate crome and this winter am hoping to do a camo paint job and think the crome will like like hell. Anyone ever decromed a bumper? What would need to be done to get paint to stick? The bumper was on the jeep when I bought it and do not want to buy a new bumper if I can prevent it.

you'll have to grind through the chrome, and the copper or nickel underneath it. You need to strip it down to steel, then you can prep it and paint it just like it was new.

Hit it with the orbital, wipe it with acetone and paint it. The paint will stick and you're just going to scratch it up and use it anyway.

I know this is old. I do work at a chrome shop. If you have not done this yet, this is what you need to do. Remove the the bumper take it to a chrome shop and have them chrome strip it. The nickel will be left just scuff it up and paint it. If you live in Denver, there is a very large shop. For something like this I would charge a case of beer.

Back