• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Explorer front axle?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this question pisses anyone off, but.....

is the axle on the front of the ford explorer similar in strength to the rear 8.8? I'm thinking of doing an all around axle swap to wear 35's, and am looking for the best options. It would just be easier to take both axles off of one vehicle, and this seems like a viable option. The 8.8's are cheaper than D44's from what I can tell. Any other cheap options?

ok, you're gonna have to get rid of the acronym..... I'm still working on those...

thank you ktm.

I guess I don't want it then...

there's a waggy on craigslist with D44's... he just wants a fair "parts" price for it... maybe I'll look into that.

Take another look, Explorers dont have straight front axles.

did a quick google search. I see... funky stuff...

so maybe an 8.8 and a waggy D44?

Remember, to get a disc brake'd 8.8. They are also about 1" narrower than a stock XJ axle.

right. two upgrades for the price of one!

Could he possibly be talking about a Dana 35 front end? Didn't the Exploder have one in the early years?

Yeah, they are the d35 TTB and in 95ish they went to full IFS. Nothing is interchangable between the Ford D35 and the jeep D35, well maybe the wheel studs, maybe.
Jeremy

norcalchris said:
yeah...discs!!!..the one i was getting had drums... =[
The disc brake ones also come with the 31 spline shafts, drum brakes mean 28 spline. Also as CanMan mentioned, you'll have to run about a 1" spacer to make it wide enough.

The Waggy 44 is a pretty decent front axle, Low Pinion, but with upgraded shafts and joints plenty strong for 35" tires without much fear of breaking.

-----Matt-----

actually, the internals, except the gears, are interchangable, but this is reall only good for guys with ttb who get used traction aides from guys who have broke their jeep 35s, after they did something silly like locking them.

and not so aboout the 8.8 spline/disc info.

pre 2k pickups came with 28 splne all xsplod's came with 31, 95-up all have discs. 2000up pickups are 31 spline too i think. do a web search for "trs"
some came with limitid slips too.

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:
The disc brake ones also come with the 31 spline shafts, drum brakes mean 28 spline.

Your thinking Ranger...

jeppo said:
pre 2k pickups came with 28 splne all xsplod's came with 31, 95-up all have discs. 2000up pickups are 31 spline too i think. do a web search for "trs"
some came with limitid slips too.

X2, all Exploders, 91-05, have a 31 spline 8.8, they went to IRS after that. The 95+ has discs so that is the desired axle.

how long would a D30 hold up with 35's under moderate wheeling?

If it'll last at least a little while, I may go for the 8.8, and get a front axle later.

Last edited:
Back