• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift question for 99 model xj with 5 spd

wvflexj

NAXJA Forum User
new to board not new to jeeps. just aquired a 99 model cherokee 6 cyl. 5 spd. wandering how much lift before expensive driveline mods required. 231 case

Last edited:
Someone will be on here to tell you. I know the "late style slip yoke is more prone to vibs. Dont fear the slip yoke eliminator. I would go with the lift you want. Dont short yourself because of the sye, its easy to install. I dont hear about it much but you do run another risk when you run a lift without an sye. It could have a tendency to push on the output shaft. I would picture it as the shaft angle drops and the yoke tends to push at a little more angle on the spline it can pop the snap ring off the back of the output shaft. The shaft moves forward dissengaging the oil pump and rubbing in the planetary and its all over. SYE, seals, etc about $250.00 and a Saturday of work. Like I say I dont see it mentioned a lot but it may happen more then is known and people just get a jyard case and replace it. I dont know why they call it a slip yoke eliminator. It relocates the slip yoke to the other end of the shaft. :)

I screwed up in my above post. You would also need a double cardan driveshaft for the rear. Some years can use a front shaft on the rear. About $50.00 for a used one or $200.00 new

CanMan said:
3" with a TC drop, anything more, you'll get vibes on the late models. SYE would be for anything 4" and up. My .02.

X2 The slip yoke gets eliminated not moved if you use a SYE. When you disconnect the straps from the pinion, you pull the yoke from the TC output shaft ie Slip Yoke. I believe the 97+ have the shorter tail cone with more of the slip yoke exposed which is prone to vibes at 4+ " lifts.

thanx for the driveline info . soundsa like best bet is to go ahead and get the sye to be on the safe side was considering R E 3.5" kit, have had great sucess with them in the past on a zj

That's a good kit, and yes, you will want the SYE and CV shaft with it.

On the AX-15s, you can generally get away with a little more lift than an AW4 before you run into issues. This is simply because the rear DS is longer. But no one with a SYE regrets the choice, plus you don't have to drop the T-case and lose that clearance.

Also, that kit usually gives more than 3.5" unless you have a lot of "extra" weight (bumpers, skids, winch, lots o tools, etc...).

Back