• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yes its another locker thread

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
89xj 4.5lift d30front d35rear currently 3.07 with 31inch tires 5spd

Not a dd only in bad winter weather and occasional offroad locally, will be trailered and ran at silver lake sand dunes and other places locally, mostly mud trails. I plan on only getting up to maybe 33inch tires. So i want to keep the axles i have since i dont need a heavy duty axle with the future tires i plan to run. I will be 456's gears in but im undecided on if i want a full locker or a powertrax detroit or what? I figured the rear would be my only benefit for the type of wheeling i will be doing. so what type of locker should i put in the rear?

Where to begin?

Weak ring gear (7.5")
Small tubes (2.25" I believe)
Small shafts (1.17"? 27-spline?)

Basically waiting to grenade

Better ring gear (8.25")
Beefier tubes (3")
Bigger shafts if 29-spline ( 1.19"?)

Bolt in as well, all you need is new u-bolts and with a 3" inch lift you can probably keep the same driveshaft.

I saw a thread ver at IAJ the other day wanting evidince of trail breakeage of 35's. I think 3 people spoke of broke 35's and 2 of em them admitted driver error. Anything can be torn up in hte wrong situation

If you go with the 27 spline you can get a lock-right. I ran the 27 spline for a few months on 33's and had no problems. (and im quite heavy on the throttle) I went to alloys and now i would feel safe running 35's but im going to stick with 33's. I run pretty much only rocks too.

I ran the 27 spline 8.25 on 33's with a lockright for over a year and I wheeled it pretty hard, but mind you the wheeling is a bit different up here... lotsa snow, mud, muskeg and river bed rocks that roll all over the place. I have also been running a 50hp shot of NOS and it's still held up to the task. I had it out on a run last weekend up to some frozen falls int eh mountains here and I was running Vbar chains, locked, with NOS and it was hella fun on the ice. I could dig some fat trenches in no time. I was kinda hoping to grenade the rear since I have a spiffy new 8.8 to throw in there but everything still held up just fine.

I was kinda hoping to grenade the rear since I have a spiffy new 8.8 to throw in there but everything still held up just fine.

Aww shucks... :tear:

I run a 35 with a full carrier detroit on 31's
the detroit was free, and didn't cost a thing to install...
I drive the piss out of it on the street, and like a grandmother off road. slow and steady. works great off road, would definately put a detroit in again, just in a different axle

if I want bigger tires or if i break it and all my spare shafts, I am going to try to find an XJ 44

i pulled a aussie outta a d35 89 xj last week and dont need it, if you wanna keep youre dana 35 build reasonable, pm me...ill give it to ya real cheap since i have a d44 waiting to swap now...

Back