• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRANNY ???????

jtnvegas702

NAXJA Forum User
I HAVE A 93 (4.0) AUTOMATIC 4X4 AND THE TRANNY DIED, I HAVE A CHANCE TO BUY A 4.0 OUT OF A 92 W/ TRANNY WITH THE FOLLOWING TAG ON IT
( 3043le
s- 92ce51049 )

TWO QUESTIONS , WHAT DOES THIS TAG MEAN? AND WILL THIS COMBO BE A COMPATABLE INSTALL IN MY 93 (I WANT THE ENGINE BECAUSE ITS JUST BEEN REBUILT 350MILES AGO)

HELP..... CLUELESS IN LAS VEGAS

If it's out of a 4.0, 4x4 XJ, it's the same transmission. I don't know about the tag information, but the one on your transmission should look pretty similar.

I seem to remember something about a spline count change somewhere in the early 90s, but don't know for sure if it applies here. While you're waiting for someone to chime in, try a quick search for 21 vs. 23 splines, and see what you can turn up.

Rob

Rob Mayercik said:
I seem to remember something about a spline count change somewhere in the early 90s, but don't know for sure if it applies here.
Both a 93 and 94 AW4 auto should be 23 spline output. I think that 91 was the last year of the 21 spline AW4, though I could be mistaken.

The spline count changed 08/90 to 23 spline (for the 6 cyls. 4 cyl kept 21 spline for stick) Just make sure it's NOT from a Grand Cherokee after the mid '93 year (Then the trans is a 42RE which is a POS in stock form)

hey guys thanks for alll the replys , keep em coming , the more it get the easier it seems to get.....

JT N VEGAS 702

ALSO IF ANYONE KNOW..... I NOW KNOW THE 92 HAS 233-3 STAMPED INTO THE TRANNY ITSELF AND THE 1993 HAS 33-40

ANY CLUES? ALSO ANYBODY GO A CIPHER FOR THE THE VIN NUMBERS, IE: PAINT , YEAR, ENGINE, ETC:hang:

about how long should a tranny swap take...mine went out and im planing on doing one this weekend

Depends on your level of skill and if you've done any before. I think there is a checklist on here someplace (Wish I had mine from when I worked at A&B trans) I'm trying to find 2 days to do my conversion from 5 speed to AW4 (I also need to do driveshafts and change the wiring harness for the auto computer)

i ve got three+ set aside right now...but you know how things go

Back