• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling All PhotoShop Wizards...

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I bought this bumper off a guy in my club for 30 bucks. Now i know alot of people aren't a big fan of the tube bumpers, for 30 bucks...i cant complain. Anyways, the approach angle on this thing, kinda...sucks. Was wondering if anyone could chop this bumper for a better approach angle and just have fun with it, but NOT that kind of fun! :)
XJ002.jpg

And before anyone says anything, alignment has been straightened out.

i dont know how to chop the photo but i think you might could take and either just cut the lower tube of at the down pipe under the grille gaurd hoop and just cap it or you could take and cut the outer edge and bring it up to the upper tube like you see on the smaller diameter tube bumpers.

cut off the vertical tubes, ad weld the two horizontal ones together... then cut it off the bracket and raise the whole thing an inch.

i dont think the question here was "how do i cut this bumper to improve approach angle?"
he wants someone to photochop it,using photoshop or other photo editing software, so he can see how it will look once he cuts it.

My quick attempt:

xj002copyhl5.jpg

Shorten the sides so they angle back pretty much flush with the fenders and bend the lower tube up so it meets under the corner bend of the upper tube.

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! that is sick! that is EXACTLY what im looking for. i even like that you added to it!
Edit: anyway you can just cut off that portion that you bended upward on both side to see what it would look like just cut?

I just bought the same front bumper, and I have the matching rear bumper for it too. I got them both for $100. I really like them and am suprized at how heavy they are. I think I'm going to weld in some more support for the front mount though. I'll probably fasten the rear as it should be, then weld some supports from it down to where my reese hitch bolts on.

Yeah destroyer! I like it but i like your original design better, but im not sure about to go with that. As i dont have access to a welder, thought maybe i could think up of something that i could just cut and leave, but i want that bumper you made now! (thanks alot :))

pic.jpg

I thought it would add a nice touch. I was also gonna paint some pink stripes but I didn't want Zack to think I stole his idea..

HAHA...god i hope this doesn't turn into one of those threads! :) but i want you guys' input on what is doable with limited tools to make my approach angle ALOT better and more tire clearance.

Cherokeekid88 said:
HAHA...god i hope this doesn't turn into one of those threads! :) but i want you guys' input on what is doable with limited tools to make my approach angle ALOT better and more tire clearance.

I would just chop off the whole bottom part, and clip the sides.:patriot:

Cherokeekid88 said:

Without a welder all you can do is cut chunks off.

To do the first edit you would need to cut the bottom tube off to put it in a bender and then weld it back in. (Unless anybody else knows a way to bend it attached).

This IMO looks like the best option (minus the added bar):
Destroyer said:

Just make sure you cut the top bar inside of the outer most vertical tube or it'll look like a hack job.

WheelsUp said:
. (Unless anybody else knows a way to bend it attached).

I did it to my CJ, it came with a big ugly squared off bumper thing. I cut wedges out of the pipe, heated it with a torch and bent it. It was hard enough to cope that odd angle to the main pipe, I ended up using 3-4 passes of mig to make up the gap. The material you're starting out with is much thinner than what I had. It's easier to cut, but you've got to watch the heat welding it. You said "limited tools" what are your limits?

Torch?
Plasma cutter?
Mig?
Stick welder?
cutoff wheel?
4.5 inch grinder?

What you can do will ultimately be limited by what you are able to do.

Back