• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 diff noise

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
I did a D30LP to HP swap today. I bought it from a guy who had pulled it a couple months prior. I'm thinking the pumpkin is dry but I get a groan/grumble noise as i get up to about 25mph, would that just be because it's dry?

I'm not driving it anywhere... But I was just wondering if I should fill it up and see if that fixes it, or if i should pull the cover and see if I need to swap some of my parts from the LP into it.

ty20404 said:
I did a D30LP to HP swap today. I bought it from a guy who had pulled it a couple months prior. I'm thinking the pumpkin is dry but I get a groan/grumble noise as i get up to about 25mph, would that just be because it's dry?

I'm not driving it anywhere... But I was just wondering if I should fill it up and see if that fixes it, or if i should pull the cover and see if I need to swap some of my parts from the LP into it.

Fill it, drive it, see if it's gone. If not, see if goes away when you turn the wheel. May be a hub bearing assembly?

Are you kidding? you can't run a dry diff at 25 mph! And just a far out question but did you verify the ratio to make sure it is the same as your rear? Beyond that check pinoin nut but above all put some oil in it.

Running an axle without any gear oil in it??

HERE'S YOUR SIGN....

just tell me you are not an engineering student at NCSU

Last edited:
With all due respect, the oil should have been the very first thing you checked before you drove it at ANY speed.

If I were you, I'd be pulling the cover asap and looking at the gears real close. If the faces of the gear teeth are galled (or spalled), -you're in deep doo.

I certainly hope that's not the case for ya.

Pull the cover, inspect the gears, -even of they look so-so, put the cover back on, add some 85-90 and take 'er for a spin. At this point, you don't have much to lose, -the damage may already be done, -but maybe not.

haha, yeah i don't know why i said it was dry and yeah i should have checked it first... here's what i found.

It goes away when I turn to the right, it increases w/ speed also.

The diff was full, pulled the cover sprayed w/ brake cleaner, didn't appear to be too bad. I was also told by someone that it was probably a hub bearing. I'll just pull one off of my old axle and put it on.

i believe it was off of a 97. I swapped out the left side hub assembly and it appears to be working perfect. no noise, no problems. yet.

Back