• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chess World Mourning!

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure how many of you manly wheelers follow the chess scene, but I figured I'd post up anyhow.

Yesterday Bobby Fischer, former and ONLY American born world chess champion and a genius who revolutionized the game and brought it more to the public view than any previous player, died at the age of 64.

Bobby became an International GrandMaster at the tender age of 15, and since that time dominated the chess world until he won the World Championship in 1972 against the Russian Boris Spassky. After that match he dropped off the planet entirely, nobody knew where he was. Then after being taunted by Spassky in the press and the rest of the chess community, he came out of hiding in 1992 only to crush him again, and then went back into seclusion, living like a vagrant in Pasadena.

He finally ended up in Iceland, where he died yesterday of what is rumored to be liver failure, but official reasons have not yet been released.

At any rate, it's big news to me, and the end of a great chess era.

cds36 said:
Lol, Im gonna tune in to Howard Stern on Sirius he's a big chess fan.

One question, "Why did you find it funny that someone died?"

btw - I didn't know he was still alive.. wow..

E

Back when I worked in the game industry, Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess was a product my group supported. That game kicked my ass, and I'm not a lousy player. I'm not sure that he was actually involved in the project at all other than taking a few bucks to use his name, but it was the first time I really became aware of his history.

Iceland? For some reason that doesnt surprise me at all. Sad turn of events.

Man you all have your panties in a bunch I wasnt laughing at the man, more at what stern is going to say. I wasnt even into chess untill he would talk about it, the strategies, players and such. So kick back and relax dont freak out things are going to be ok.

cds36 said:
Man you all have your panties in a bunch I wasnt laughing at the man, more at what stern is going to say. I wasnt even into chess untill he would talk about it, the strategies, players and such. So kick back and relax dont freak out things are going to be ok.
There are few things in life I don't take lighlty. Someone's death is one of them..

Check yourself man.. I asked you a simple question.

E

Like you I also dont take death lightly. I dont know of anyone who does. I wasnt making fun or did I think the mans death was funny....
LOOK AT POST #6 I thought I answered your question

Someone needs to Check Themself

cds36 said:

Show some respect. Even stern, as much of an ass as he is, isn't likely to make light of this.

good lord come on folks its just the internet. stop whining. if you have a problem with someone take it to PMs nobody wants to watch everyone play interweb toughguy.

rest in peace bobby!

Ok for all of you who are upset I never should have put the Lol on my post. It was obviously taken out of context, and it does look like I was laughing at the man. I wasnt, I just found it funny that I got into chess by listening to Howard Stern of all people. So if I angered you in any way I apologize.....

LET THERE BE PEACE IN THE NAXJA FORUM !!!!!!

GrimmJeeper said:
good lord come on folks its just the internet. stop whining. if you have a problem with someone take it to PMs nobody wants to watch everyone play interweb toughguy.

rest in peace bobby!

x2 !!!!!

Someone get Elias a V8 for his 55. He is touchy lately. haha

By "haha" I wasn't laughing at death but at the touchyness of Elias. haha

By that "haha" I wasn't laughing at death I was laughing at myself for the previous statement. haha

By THAT "haha".......forget it

I also thought he was dead. Perhaps it was the whole drop out scenerio that took his name out of circulation. RIP

There was an interesting movie a while back, kinda OT, called "Searching for Bobby Fisher", though it had nothing at all to do with Bobby Fisher, and everything to do with Chess played at the child progedy level.

Ron

silverslk said:
x2 !!!!!

Someone get Elias a V8 for his 55. He is touchy lately. haha

By "haha" I wasn't laughing at death but at the touchyness of Elias. haha

By that "haha" I wasn't laughing at death I was laughing at myself for the previous statement. haha

By THAT "haha".......forget it

Alright Andy.... Just remember that I'm going to see you Sunday....:twak: That's if you don't blow another engine.. lol..

cds36, understood...

I wasn't hammering you.. just asking. I could have asked "why are you laughing".. or to clarify.. I figured there was something else..

It's cool..

E

EliasJ123 said:
Alright Andy.... Just remember that I'm going to see you Sunday....:twak: That's if you don't blow another engine.. lol..

cds36, understood...

I wasn't hammering you.. just asking. I could have asked "why are you laughing".. or to clarify.. I figured there was something else..

It's cool..

E

Hey easy there vato. haha

I didn't "blow" the engine. It sucked in water when I was playing and snapped a rod. :shhh:

Back