• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Miles/range per tank???

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Just hope you guys could give me an idea.

Found a 99, xj, 6cyl, 5 speed with 88,000 miles and it has 4.56 gears and 33" bfg mud. It has a Rubicon Express 5.5 short arm kit. NP231 transfer case with SYE installed with a new drive shaft in the rear. Fender looks like it has been trimmed. Warn bumper in the back with spare tire carrier.

What kind of mileage could I expect to get from a full tank? Not sure if I'm going to buy it yet and I'm trying to gather as much information on and about it....

Thanks.... Joe

That would be great, last suv was a suburban and would 390ish city/hwy on a 33gal tank and 550 only highway (this only happened once) I just sucked having to pay $115 per fillup...

I would say that 300ish is in the ball park. I have a 93 on 33's and it gets about 275 miles to a tank, but has 4.10's and then my DD has 30's with 3.55 gears and I get about 335 miles per tank. 4.56 gers and 33's are going to get you real close to a factory ratio. But befoe the flaming begins, if you are worried about gas milage, you should look at a Honda..b/c XJ's are not where it is at in the fuel economy dept.

Yeah I work hard for my 300. It's definitely not every tank. But I have an old worn out renix that needs a rebuild bad. You could always get the jeep drive it and re-gear later if it's not enough.

jsolorza said:
wow u guys get good gas mileage. I have a 99 3.55 gears and 31 and i get aoubt 260 on a good day.

Ay that's what I get with my 95. Makes me feel better when somebody else gets around the same MPG...

I'm running 3.55 and 30's with a 3.5" lift. Have to replace the exhaust manifold because it's cracked, I expect the MPG to go up a tiny bit from the oxygen sensor seeing less oxygen and not running as rich of a mixture.

jsolorza said:
wow u guys get good gas mileage. I have a 99 3.55 gears and 31 and i get aoubt 260 on a good day.

X2. That's exactly my setup and average mileage.

95% of my 70 mile daily commute is at a flat 60mph, but I am dragging a ConnFerr rack through the airstream.

Last edited:
Depending on how I am loaded and how I drive, i get between 14 and 20 miles per gallon, and I use about 16 gallons of my tank before I refill (just shy of 1/4 tank).

We have 4 XJ's(actually we have 5 but I haven't picked the new one up yet).

We have a 90', 94', 2-96's, 00'.

On the highway the 90 RENIX is the best, I get 24mpg summertime. In the winter I have issues keeping the engine temp high enough to keep it in closed loop. I have the grill completley blocked now, the closed system is too efficient in the winter time. Around town the RENIX is the worst getting around 13 mpg.

The only OBD1 XJ that I have(94) gets 16-18 no matter where you drive it!

The OBD2 XJ's (96,00) do the best around town getting around 17-18 mpg, and sometimes will squeeze 21 on the highway. The 96 is on 4" lift and 31's and I set-up some 4.10s in it bringing it back close to the stock ratio. It gets the same as the stock 00.

the 99 5spd IMO is a gem. Get it !!!!

Gas mileage/ Pickup and power should be close to stock; considering driving style

Blaine B. said:
That makes me feel even worse, lol.

How many miles?

My 95 has almost 197,000....for almost its entire life it was a highway driven vehicle. It doesn't need a rebuild.

270k, you have nothing to worry about.

200-210 miles till the yellow light comes on

92 w/ auto, 33's 4.88's ~ 4" lift

Back