• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster 40 series muffler

Hey all,

I am thinking of replacing the stock muffler and exhaust tip on my 99 XJ but as I've never done anything like that b4, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

First of all, I love the way it sounds now. But I kinda want to go a little deeper/throatier without sounding like a ricer/street racer.

So, I've been looking at Flowmaster's 40 series muffler and a chrome tip.
Would I need to get an entire exhaust package in order to change these things out, or can I just get the muffler and tip?

Thanks in advance guys!
the ones I'm looking at are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=330204621534&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=250199508750&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

I'm just running a cherry bomb muffler 18" in length. it's just a glorified straight pipe muffler. sounds good though with the 4.0Litre... I've used the flowmaster 40 series in the past very good muffler, won't be dissapointed.

Make sure to check yuor factory muffler size, and cross rreferance it with the flowmaster, make sure it's at least close to same size. shold be a straight forward install! good luck

Get a Super 40, and a high flow cat. Stock size pipe is 2.25", I went 2.5" cat back, anyway you will want a center inlet and offset outlet muffler. Check my sig for exhuast vids.

First of all...what motor do you have? If it's the 4 cyl, no matter what you do to the exhaust it will sound like a ricer....it's not the exhaust that makes the sound really, it's the motor....you will NEVER make a 4 or 6cyl sound like a V8...only V8's sound like a V8, so don't be like one of these other idiots in other threads that say..."yeah I installed my flowmaster and it gave it a nice V8 sound.." NO IT DIDN'T YOU F*#^ING RETARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm off my soapbox! lol

Ive been running a 40 for three or four years now. I noticed a immediate increase in power when I had it put on, but my 2000 has a 2.5 inch pipe where as your 99 should only be 1.75 in the bends

shouldn't, mines got it, longer leaf spring shackles are what gets in the way

a_medics_XJ said:
with this kit do you have to worry at all about a towing package being in the way?
it shouldn't...i have 2" shackles and the tailpipe makes it's turn well before the end of the leaf spring

i'll see if i can get a pic or two together for you so you can make the decision for yourself...

EDIT: i only have this half-a$$ pic right now, but you can see the turn-down in the tailpipe before it reaches the shackle

2587456480063879759S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO, as for the FM 40 muffler, it depends how old you are. the older you are, the less appealing it is.

i took mine off after a while because i could not stand the droning and i didnt like the sound at idle or light throttle.

you just cant make the i6 sound like a v8.

I have the 40 on my "bored out but not stroked" 90, sounds great! I have a highflow cat and went 2 1/2" all the way back. The Flowie tucks up nice under there as well.

You will not be disappointed in the sound at all.

ive been running the rusty's kit for over 2 years. no complaints. i even took my cat off about a year ago. its got 2.5" mandrel bent from the flowmaster back. i cut off the turn-down that was on it and put on my own tip.

Back