• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 xj, front making a clunking noise!

broken_down

NAXJA Forum User
A Q for the guru's.

I own a 90 XJ. 4.0 litre 5 speed 2 door. 3" bds lift, with transfer case drop

The problem I'm having is whenever I put the jeep into 4 Hi (not as bad in 4 Lo) I get this clunking noise off and on constantly. It's a dana 30 with new axle shafts, inner oil seals, u-joints and ball joints. what could be the problem???

Thanx

kj139 said:
Can you provide a little more info on the noise (where it sounds like it is coming from, anything that makes it better or worse, etc.). Thanks.

It sounds like it's coming from the front diff somewhere. almost sounds like the transfer case or gears are slipping. nothing make the noise go away in 4x4. I'm really not sure what it could be?

from my experience a clunking once in a while coming from the TC is if lucky a linkage adjustment if not a chain starting to stretch, the clunk is the chain jumping teeth on the sproket

is the np231 a chain system and not gear driven?

Is replacing a chain a minor job. I've never taken apart a transfer case before. if this is the problem

broken_down said:
is the np231 a chain system and not gear driven?

Is replacing a chain a minor job. I've never taken apart a transfer case before. if this is the problem

yep a chain, if they run low on fluid it does not take long for the chain to stretch and start having problems. Do yo have any TC leaks?

Oh and they are pretty simple to rebuild

The CV joint is basically a 3 part joint that has 2 U-joints and this ball & socket thingy that all work together. You should have one on top of the driveshaft near the t-case, you should have just a U-joint at the axle. When the CV joint wears it will allow the 3-piece joint to kind of buckle and pop. However, the chain being stretched is also pretty likely. The drive shaft should spin in 2wd and 4wd unless you have that cheezy vacuum actuator they put in the wranglers....or did anyway.

If you don't, then you're DS should spin regardless of tcase position and would probably clunk in 2wd as well....although, not as loud because it wouldn't be under load. you can get under the Jeep and give the DS a good shake and see if you can hear anything. If the CV is shot, you could feasibly have blown the front ouput shaft bearing and leaked enough fluid to cause the chain to stretch.....or it could just be a bad gear install.

ok. yeah I've noticed some fluids leaking out of the transfer case. as of late. from the bottom, thinking it's just a seal. maybe it would be a good idea to pull out the transfer case and inspect it.

Figured it out, ended up being a worn out inner axle shaft (Pass side) along with the coupling ring that slides over to engage the carrier was worn as well... Thanx for the help everyone

I'm getting a similar popping/clunking noise on my 2000 -- sounds like it is right below my knees...

Thanks for the tips on a few more places to look.

It seems to only happen during the first 10-15 minutes of driving, and then becomes non-existent unless I hit a nasty pot-hole and then I get a single thunk...

It only does it when the XJ is moving and my foot is off the gas (i.e. coasting to a stop). I can turn the engine off, put the tranny and t-case in neutral, and it still persists, so it has to be between the front diff and the t-case.

I opened up the front diff to see if something was sloppy in there, but all looked good. So, I guess I inspect the CV and chain next.

lane hog said:
It only does it when the XJ is moving and my foot is off the gas (i.e. coasting to a stop). I can turn the engine off, put the tranny and t-case in neutral, and it still persists, so it has to be between the front diff and the t-case.

I opened up the front diff to see if something was sloppy in there, but all looked good. So, I guess I inspect the CV and chain next.

one thing some people don't know about the "N" on the T case is that it locks the front and rear driveshaft together..

When my CV went bad, it made a lot of chattering all the time, and when climbing a hill, it sounded like the first hill of a roller coaster.

Another noise that can be under the floorboards is upper control arm bushing problems

HTH

-Tim

Thanks for all the comments this would be interestin spots to check (I have a 90 cherokee laredo that makes a clunking noise and what sounds to me kinda like gears grinding comin from the front drivers side but its while im in 2wd and only for the initial few feet i travel from a deadstop or after putting it in gear) but im not leaning towards my tcase cause its vacuum actuated and im pretty positive my shaft coming off the tcase doesnt spin while in 2wd

mines got a clunking noise coming from the front left that happens over small bumps and while in 4 low climbing a hill, it seems like something is really loose in the front left somewhere. ball joints are good, u joint is ok, just replaced the wheel bearing, everything is tight, i cant figure out what it is!!! the upper, lower control arm bushings dont look that great, maybe that could be it? sounds like everyone has some sort of problem like this in their xj.

Back