• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping Noise from Front Axle

jeepn61

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 XJ with a D30 front end. It has an ECTED electric locker, 4.10 gears and a Warn locking hub conversion kit. A month ago I heard a popping noise only when in 4wd with the locker engaged and turning sharply under a load. It is now making the noise just by locking the hubs and turning sharply in 2wd. I haven't pulled anything apart yet but was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

IMHO, I think it is the locking portion in the hubs. They are now the weak spot in the drivetrain. So when you turned, some thing had to give and it was the hub. You shouldn't turn sharp when the front is engaged, somehting has to give and if the tire can't then usually the ujoints will if you don't have hubs. Pull the hub a part and I bet the locking ring is toast.

Possibly the hubs or the steering box. If you don;t have a plate to reinforce the steering box mount, it can pop when turning as the metal weakens. Much worse, it will increase and eventually break. One other thing to check is the track-bar mount at the frame. If those bolts aren't ridiculously tight, the mount can move up and down when turning and this will make a popping noise. I've had each of these happen to mine.

Good luck!

I had the same kind of noise.. turned out to be a broken [worn out ] u-joint on the front axle.

when I had the same noise you speak of.. I found that one of my trac bar bolts was just a little loose on the frame side near steering box.. took me forever to find that.. but I would also check that..

if that is all good the next bet would be to take the cover off and look inside

Back