• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

302 vs. 350

Bravo776

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all :wave: So I just picked up my second XJ --84, 2.5L, AX-5, NP207-- It has a bad cluth and I know the AX-5 is weak and the 2.5L has more leaks then power hahaha. I plan to build it over a couple year span turning it into a trail rig and daily driver. Nothing too hardcore on the trails but a setup that will perform if needed.

I would like to swap in a V8...originally was thinking of a 350 but have heard a 302 would work as well as far as getting adapters to mate a tranny with it. I will replace the tranny and t-case as well...thinking of just going with the AX-15 and NP231 combo and gp with either Novak or Advanced Adapters to mate to to the motor.

I was just wanting to get ideas on wheather the 302 or 350 would be better suited for it as far as fitment in the engine bay and the ability of the rig to handle the wieght and torque of the V8. I am not planning of building the motor real strong...mainly stock but might increase power as needed after all is said and done. I have done a 302 conversion into a ranger before which is still going strong but not sure how this will compare to that swap.

Any and all ideas and tips will be much appreciated...Thanks to all in advance :)

I always liked the idea of putting a small block chevy in a Cherokee. You picked two good motors with aftermarket support, so good luck with your build. :yelclap:

Yeah there is just something about the sound and power of a V8...lol I've worked with the fords alot and some with the chevy's too, both have their ups and downs. Not sure which will work better with making motor mounts though.

WOOHOO...just got my membership letter in the mail!!

After doing motor swaps and random rig rebuilds here is what ive learned. 350 is a good motor + if you have the room for a bigger radiator you can punch it out to a nice 383 stroker. 302 is solid and having the distributor in the front of the motor is handy for tuning and fire wall issues. My question is, with chrokees being as available as they are and the 4.0 HO being (arguably) the best motor ever built why not save yourself the 4 - 6 grand and buy a cheep cherokee for $1500 with the 4.0 and a auto?

I'm just sayin...

Yes the 4.0 is a great motor...long lasting, dependable and strong. I bought this one for $50 ($48 after finding some change under the carpets) and it's just a project to built. I want to do a custom setup with a V8. I liked the V8 in the ranger and have fun doing custom build-ups.

I've seen a couple of V motor swaps in cherokee's out here. So far the best on I've seen is one with a S10 V8 motor. Nice tight set up.

take ur 2.5l motor out get it rebuilt with low compression and put a 50trim garret t3/t4 on it and crank up the boost. Now that would be badass. Probably a modest 300hp.:peace:

My vote is for the small block 302. There a bullit proof motor parts are cheap, and they rap up so fast and start making power. I took the one out of my 1989 ford mustang. It has the GT40 intake upper and lower with a spacer in between, 24 lb. injectors, BBK 80mm throttle body. I had the motor rebulit, im in to the motor $2000 bucks maybe less. When it was in my 5.0 with 4.10 gears it would haul ass! 80mph in two blocks. I know that Novack has motor mounts that fit the 302 in the cherokee sweet. if your going standard a NP435 will work and adapts to just about anything. Or you could use a C4, C6, or the AOD. Here are some pics.
4doorandtufftruck033.jpg

4doorandtufftruck032.jpg

Yeah I saw yours the other day and thats when I realized to could go with the 302 as well...looks good in there and looks like plenty of room for it too. I have a c4 out of a 2wd that just needs a new band...can that be used in a 4wd with a diff tail housing? havn't done too much tranny work.

I would think so it might need a different output shaft to, but im not sure. I had Novak do the mounts and answer all the questions I had. The guys down there are great. Call them they can answer all your questions.

willy51 said:
I've seen a couple of V motor swaps in cherokee's out here. So far the best on I've seen is one with a S10 V8 motor. Nice tight set up.

Uh - as I recall, the S10 never came with a V8 from the factory. Are you sure you're not thinking of the biggish 4.3L V6 they used as a "large" engine?

I have seen S10 with V8 transplants, tho...

Bravo776 said:
I was figuring he meant the 4.3...I don't recall a V8 stock in an S-10 either...

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Dammit - I hate no longer having a nearly perfect memory!

Note to Self - no need to get hit in the head anymore...

Back