• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 XJ Engine Oil Leak Identified - How To Repair?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I discovered why my starter was so oily this evening. After changing oil (not filter; oil & filter were both new 2 weeks ago.) I started the engine and crawled under the engine bay. Oil was dripping from the parting line between the block and the aluminum oil filter mount.

The Factory Service Manual has no diagram of this so I'd rather try to learn what I'm getting into before I take it apart.

Can anyone here offer useful advice?

Thanks,

Rick

You need to change the o-rings in the oil filter adapter. The o-rings are $3 or so from the dealer. Do a search for oil filter adapter. Plenty of writeups on the procedure.

It's a common problem and easily fixed. The angle adapter for the oil filter has a couple of O-rings in it. They harden up and start to leak. They're easily replaced, and can be gotten from the dealer for ~ 6 bucks.

On an 89 you should have a hex head bolt holding the adapter on. Just take it off, remove the adapter, replace the o-rings, and put it back. Later models use allen or torx head bolts which are a nuisance to get off, but you should have no worries there.

Actually there are three o-rings. The dealer stocks two options...the later models' o-rings all come in one package, however for the older models the rings come seperately. Make sure you get the correct ones because in the later model package there is at least one o-ring that is the wrong size. As a side note also look at the valve cover gasket...it may be leaking down onto that area also.

Jess,

You are completely correct. Actually, the situation is even worse than you described. I purchased the 3 o-ring kit, 1-04720363, from the dealer this morning and only the large diameter ring works. The other two do not. Thanks Chrysler!

Rick

I resolved this by getting viton o-rings at my local o-ring dealer, Zatkoff Seals & Packings. (248) 478-2400 Remember these item numbers are for a 1989 4.0L:

1 - 2-219 V1226-75
2 - 2-127 V1226-75
3 - 2-230 V1226-74

As a result I'm willing to sell the nitrile o-rings I purchased from the dealer. Contact me if interested.

Thanks for your help,

Rick

When I did mine on my '88 (did the pass side engine mount too), the dealer was no help either. I ended up taking the adapter to several autoparts stores to match up the proper ones. It took me more time to find the o-rings than it did to replace them.

Back