• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping one D30 for another D30 - concerns?

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping out the front axle on my 96XJ to get the correct gear ratio to match the D44 I just swapped in. I'm might have a line on an 89 non-disco XJ D30. Are there any concerns going with one from that time period?

Thanks,
Mike

The size of the U-Joints in the older axle may be smaller but you can swap the shafts from your '96 if they are.

Looking at getting a late model from a junkyard with several

What year did the brake stuff change: 1997 or 1998 or 1999?

xj-boonie said:
I'm swapping out the front axle on my 96XJ to get the correct gear ratio to match the D44 I just swapped in. I'm might have a line on an 89 non-disco XJ D30. Are there any concerns going with one from that time period?

Thanks,
Mike

Just swap the shafts, unit hubs, and all brake stuff from the 96 over to the 89 axle. Keep the 89 shafts for spares.

tgoff said:
Just swap the shafts, unit hubs, and all brake stuff from the 96 over to the 89 axle. Keep the 89 shafts for spares.

I know I could do that, but I'm not getting the 89. And after 200,000+ miles, I wouldn't mind getting lower miles hubs, brakes, etc.

So.... What year did the brake stuff change: 1997 or 1998 or 1999?

anyone?

Back