• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 Gauge Swap Question

AZJeepnut

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 SE with the basic gauges (idiot lights). I read all the posts re: full gauge cluster swap, and I bought a used cluster from a '93 (or so I thought). The one from the '93 is set up for a speedo cable, and the plug-ins are different than mine. Are there different versions of the '91 to '96 clusters? Or....did I get one from a '90/older?

thanks!
AZJ

I have a full gauge cluster from a 96 Sport if you want it. It has white overlays on the gauges and has 167K on the odometer. $30 shipped. I will get a pic of it if you're interested.

Plays For Jeeps said:
I have a cluster from a 94 that has the elctronic speedo that im trying to put into my 96 as well. Do you guys think it'll work?

Forgive a noob in his search :(

Yes it will work.You need to change the sensors to match the new gauges.
Light senders and guage sensors are different.
Wayne

When you do the swap, senders from a 96 with real guages will work, as far as I know you shouldnt have problems. (I have a 94 ish guage cluster) 96 sender for water temp and oil pressure did the job. In any case, the idiot light senders are different - they are switches, not a sender, and will not work. Oil sender part number 5602-6779, water temp sender part number 5602-7012 (as far as I can tell from my old parts book.)

Plays For Jeeps said:
^Sweet. Have any idea how much they will run me? Ill have the GF go pick them up while im stuck at work?
they are pretty cheap, as I recall, under 50 bucks for the two - they are common in all yj/xj's and other dc motors so you should have no problem getting them, if they cant cross reference the numbers make SURE you ask for oil pressure/water temp SENDERS from a 94-96 xj WITH guages if you tell the an SE they will give you switches that won't work and you already have;-)

Last edited:
This has probly also been covered but I figured while we were on the topic... I have a 97 that doesnt even have a tach even though its a stick! The only needle gauges I have are speed and gas. Will a fully loaded 97 cluster hook up to every thats already there or am I going to have to get sensors for things like oil pressure, water temp, etc...?

On the 97 and newer ones they are just plug and play. Just pull out the idiot light dash and put a full cluster in.

Back