• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 ?s

Shogun

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at 8.8s and there are some differences that I havent been able to clarify via search.

Seems they come in two year groups; 95-01 and 02-up. Whats the difference and which is better?

They also spec 6 cyl or 8 cyl. Again, whats the difference?

Did all years have rear discs or were some drums?

Assuming I'm going to regear and install a locker (toss some old parts), which model should I persue?

Thanks

if you going to regear is doesn't matter. only differences between the 8cyl, and 6 cyl 8.8s were the gearing. also the 2 groups that they are in disk, and drum. 95+ was disk which is what you should shoot for.

pleembob said:
If you are going to use a lunchbox locker - some don't fit posi carriers. Open carrier might be the ticket.
indeed, and since there's no carrier break on the 8.8's get the one with the open carrier, you can setup your gears now, and then lunchbox lock it later if you're short on cash.

Some were drums, some were disc, you need one from a 97-01 I think.
The second grouping is for the IFS rear exploders.

Only difference between 6 and 8 cylinder is some brackets on the axle that you're going to cut off anyway.

So, in short, you want a 97-01 8.8 without the LS code so it has an open carrier. Of course if you're planning a full locker then the LS part doesn't matter, you just want a 97-01 housing.
Make sure you get all the brake parts, the backing plates and such are expensive. I lucked out on mine and it had good brakes and all the e-brake stuff was there, I think I have less than $300 in my 8.8 swap.

Some were drums, some were disc, you need one from a 97-01 I think.

I believe it's 95-01

sweet......

Back