• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle upgrading ...

JeepinCoastie

NAXJA Forum User
Well time to upgrade the 8.25 Axle ....
I have never dealt with upgrading axle shaft can physically do it but i have no experiences with any companies and looking @ new shafts ... what does everyone recommend

Alloy USA, Yukon, and [SIZE=-1]Superior all make upgrades ...

eventually will do the D30 as well...

so whats the word?
[/SIZE]

C85D4x4 said:
8.8 might be cheaper.............plus you get rear disc

Not worth it to me
the swap is exspensive it u dont weld ur own parts ... i live in condos ... plus why go through all that trouble for about the same price and the axle isnt all that much stronger ... @ least I'll have Hi strength alloy shafts ...

i just slide these in ...

yea i have a 27 spline to ... i dont do hard rock wheelin ... im a mud FLAT jersey wheeler

just want to upgrade ....

looks like im going with Alloy ... i have their tube seals so why not lol

If you're going to buy alloy shafts, why not spend the little extra to switch to 29-spline axles? Unless you've already got a 27-spline locker.

if the 27spline alloy shafts are 35% stronger than stock would they be as strong as stock 29 spline shafts?

obviously the best option is alloy 29spline shafts but how do the alloy 27spline shafts compare to the factory 29spliners?

I wouldnt hesitate to run 35's locked with alloys doing some pretty good rocks

I ran 33's locked on the stock 27 splines for three months and tried breaking them a few times and had no luck. Id say 35"> locked with the alloys your fine :thumbup: Youll break the d30 before the 8.25. Whats the worst that could happen? You break one and they send you another?

JeepinCoastie said:
Ill go Alloy but i found a better deal on them ...

http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=12469

299 includes
2 shafts bearings, seals, studs (unassembled) and shipping

Better than what? I bougt mine from Reider Racing. $175 for the shafts, $25 for bearings/seals, and $18 for the studs. I bought a locker, carrier, gears, and overhaul kits also, so shipping was free. They shipped the day after I ordered. Even with shipping, your total is going to be less than $299.

jaburk said:
Better than what? I bougt mine from Reider Racing. $175 for the shafts, $25 for bearings/seals, and $18 for the studs. I bought a locker, carrier, gears, and overhaul kits also, so shipping was free. They shipped the day after I ordered. Even with shipping, your total is going to be less than $299.

the link u gave me wasnt to Reider Racing ... by the way I LIVE ON THE EAST COAST!
im twice as far as u lol

JeepinCoastie said:
the link u gave me wasnt to Reider Racing ... by the way I LIVE ON THE EAST COAST!
im twice as far as u lol

I know your on the east coast. Drivetrain Outlet prices are still in line with 4X4RockShop's even though they are in California. Reider Racing is based out of Michigan which puts them alot closer to you than 4X4RockShop..

xalexjx said:
Whats the worst that could happen? You break one and they send you another?

And the shock of breaking the shaft takes out the locker? Or it leaves you stranded on the trail if you don't have a spare shaft, along with RTV & more gear oil since it's c-clip.

Last edited:
i can only get the shafts and berings shipped out her for 290 something ... 4X4 gives me new seals and new studs as well

outlander said:
if the 27spline alloy shafts are 35% stronger than stock would they be as strong as stock 29 spline shafts?

obviously the best option is alloy 29spline shafts but how do the alloy 27spline shafts compare to the factory 29spliners?

anyone know?

I bought a 29 spline 8.25 carrier on ebay for less than $50 shipped last month.

Why mess with 27 spline?

Back