• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help recalibrating speedometer 231tcase

jonnyz123

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone recalibrated their speedometer using a speedometer drive gear for a 231 transfercase from the dealer. I have called two dealers around where i live. One told me my vehicle does not have a drive gear which i know it does because i went down to the garage and pulled it out myself..The other one told me they could only get me a replacement of what i already have..Is there another name to call it so they dont act like im speaking chinese.. please help..
i am running 32s on the stock 3:55 gears. thanks in advance

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257847

I don't guess I understand what else you need to know. You just need to go to the dealer with that chart in hand and ask to speak with a competent sales person. I'm sure they can help you out. My dealer will recalibrate it for you for 50 bucks. But why not pay 12 bucks for the gear and do it yourself in half an hour.

You have to rotate the insert to get the gears to engage.

jonnyz123 said:
thanks alot! 6 calls later and i finally got one on the way. these people need to study there 231s alittle better..

It's not the fact you have a 231, it's the way the dealers have it listed in their computers. When I was looking for a 32 tooth gear for mine, I called the dealer and asked for a "32 tooth gear for a 99 Jeep Cherokee" and they only showed the stock one, a 36, 38 and like a 42. I called them back later that after noon with the part number to a 32 tooth from the link above and said "I need a speedometer gear, and I have the part number to the one I need." Gave them the number, and sure enough they had it.

did you read the Jeepin.com write up? Unless you didn't insert the gear all the way in the sensor or if you have the wrong part number, it should work fine if installed correctly. Got a picture of how it looks installed on your jeep?

i'd get one of these online instead of dealing with a dealer

IslanderOffRoad said:
i'd get one of these online instead of dealing with a dealer
Where can you get them online ? thanks

97xjdawg said:
Where can you get them online ? thanks

quadratec, 4wdhardware, etc

also, threadstarter, i picked up that your jeep is a 99 in a later post, but this is very helpful info in the first post.

now, when you installed the speedo gear, did you just pull the old one out and put the new one in, then put everything back together the same? The little piece that it mounts on needs to be clocked into a different set of mounting holes. the links in this thread will help you. Make sure you snap it all the way in place, a little last push is all it should need.

i finally got it! thanks everyone. i ended up jacking up the rear and putting it in gear and having someone sit in while i turned the insert around and tell me when it started working.. much quicker than the trial and error.

Back